Chapter 53

The next morning, the sun shined in through the small crevice between the window and the curtains, spraying a sliver of sunlight into the bedroom and onto Loganel's bed. The light shined over his closed eyes, causing him to slowly stir. He shifted his body slightly on the bed so that his eyes were out of the sun, and slowly, he opened his eyes. What greeted him was the familiar yet alien ceiling of the inn room.

Loganel yawned and closed his eyes once again, feeling the great comfort that the warmth of the wool bed sheets provided him. He pulled the covers over his head, allowing himself to stay hidden in the darkness. However, after a minute, he could sense his drowsiness slowly slip away as he blinked. He kept his eyes open in the dark for a few more minutes before sitting up, allowing the bed cover to fall off his chest.

Loganel looked around the room. To the left of him was Kaz, and left of Kaz was Tetsuya. Both appeared to still be asleep. Loganel yawned as he forced himself out of bed, walked over to one of the window, and shifted the curtains to the side, allowing the sun to shine in. He gazed out the window and at the city streets. It was already morning and people were out and about, conducting their daily practices.

Seeing that it was already day, Loganel decided to wake the others. Before doing so though, he got dressed. He slipped out of his sleepwear and changed into his battle outfit. First, he put on his light under shirt, then over that he wore a normal shirt compounded with a sweater. Then, on the outside he wore his battle coat. He then grabbed both of his swords, his regular blade he wore on his waist and Zweilgr he wore on his back.

"Wake up," Loganel said in a raised voice, causing Tetsuya and Kaz to slowly stir.

"What the hell?" Kaz groaned. "What time is it?"

"It's morning already," Tetsuya yawned. "We better get up before we let the girls wait for too long."

After getting dressed, everybody gathered in the first floor restaurant of the inn. There, they were served a steamy hot breakfast. Loganel grabbed a loaf of soft, freshly-baked bread and placed a slice of cheese on it, allowing the heat of the bread to melt the cheese before placing the combination into his mouth, and chewed. The dairy flavor of the cheese seemed to compliment the bread almost perfectly, and for the next bite, Loganel opted to use some cream.

"So for today," Tetsuya announced to everyone. "It'll be the same as the day before, but Marilin and I will accompany Kaz. Understood?"

Everyone agreed to the arrangements, although Sheriel did so reluctantly. Loganel glanced over at her, and for a split second, he saw a somewhat irritated expression. It was a... twisted expression. One that actually made Loganel quite frightful as to what might've caused that look to appear on someone like Sheriel.

Once everybody went their separate ways, Loganel lagged behind on his progress to check up on Sheriel, who, once again, went off on her own. She seemed to be muttering something to herself, something Loganel couldn't hear due to the distance. However, she seemed quite annoyed and somewhat angry... something Loganel believes that he'll never be able to forget.

Once he set out on his own, Loganel quickly made his way through the winding streets of Rostindel, careful that he wasn't being followed, before he approached that secluded alleyway once again. He made sure no one noticed him entering this dark alley before he did so. After walking for a few seconds in the alleyway, Loganel came across that same door from the day before. After making sure that this was the place, he softly knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" a voice asked.

"Loganel Ainzloft," Loganel responded, staring at the peephole.

"...Come on in."

The door then unlocked and opened ever so slightly. Loganel reasoned that this meant for him to open the door himself, which he understood the reason why since only the person on the outside of the door can make sure that no one sees them entering. Therefore, after checking his surroundings for one last time, Loganel opened the door and entered.

"Welcome," a Vampire man greeted him. "Who're you here to see today?"

"May I speak with Alved?" Loganel asked.

"The clan leader? I don't think he's—"

"Who is it?" the man was interrupted by Zackery, who approached them from the nearby hallway.

"Zackery." The man turned to face the boy. He then stepped to the side to allow Zackery to see for himself who the visitor was. "He would like to speak with your father."

"Loganel," Zackery smiled as he greeted him. "What brings you here?"

"I need to speak with your father," Loganel said as he closed in on the boy with rapid steps. "You've heard of the two Vampire attacks in the city, did you?" Loganel whispered to Zackery.

Zackery's facial expression immediately tensed up and lost its smile. In its place was a stern expression.

"Let us speak inside." He then led Loganel towards the stairs once again and up to his place of residence. "My father is busy at the moment, but I'll listen to what you have to say in the meantime. My father should be back after a bit."

In Zackery's home, Loganel sat down on the same couch he sat on yesterday, but this time instead of Alved, he was facing Zackery. Before him on the coffee table was a teacup containing red tea that the boy had poured for him. The aroma of the beverage was quite pleasant, one that would usually make one relax, but the topic of the conversation forced Loganel to tense up.

"The reason I'm here in this city," Loganel began. "My party and I, we're actually tasked with slaying Vampires after reports of Vampire attacks on the residents of the city."

"Is that so?" Zackery's facial expression did not change, even after knowing the intent of Loganel's party.

"So Zackery," Loganel then said in an anxious voice. "Do you know who've done it?"

"You're suspecting us?"

"I..."

"I understand," the boy chuckled. "We're the only Vampires in the city, or at least to my knowledge."

"So..."

"But I can assure you that the attacks weren't by us," Zackery then said, not giving Loganel anytime to ask further questions. "If it were, the victims would still be alive for we do not kill, at least in recent times."

"What?"

"I meant for the Vampires here at Vamir, if we were to suck blood from a human, it wouldn't be to the point of death nor turning them also into a Vampire," Zackery said. "Besides, the latter, turning humans into Vampires by sucking blood, that's just a myth. A special ritual is needed to do so. The Former Human Vampires you and all of humanity learned about are actually humans that're turned into creatures that mimic our actions. Basically, fake Vampires and aren't done by us, but rather humans."

"But what would explain the two victims?"

"That isn't our concern. We never did such a thing," Zackery sighed. "I've heard from Princess Mistivera that you've only recently turned into a Demon, so I'll just assume you still hold a human bias. But, know this," Zackery then stared into Loganel's eyes. "We're not all violent creatures. Just like humans, only some are naturally born with that tendency. Often times, others are forced to be violent for their own safety."

"I understand," Loganel nodded. "But... for the two victims, if it's not the Vampires from Vamir and some Former Human fakes, then can you lend me your powers to find them? That way, I can clear the name of Vampires. Besides, with those Former Humans dead, it's less of a chance that people will discover this place."

"Your suggestion sounds intriguing," Zackery nodded his head. "But you'll have to ask my father about it. He should be back soon."

"Alright..." Loganel scaled back his enthusiasm and sat back down on the couch, allowing his tense body to relax.