Chapter 46

One Week Later

I have officially finished moving in with Stephanie. All of my things are in her apartment or shall I say OUR apartment. I'm surprised that I was actually able to fit all of my things in the apartment, but the apartment is HUGE. I did not know that Stephanie had this much room.

I still haven't heard from Brittany or Samuel. I'm trying my best not to think about them, but I have been failing at that completely. To the outside world I appear perfectly normal, but on the inside it's like I'm recovering from the aftermath of a category five hurricane.

I plop down on the big brown leather couch next to Stephanie in OUR living room. "It's been a very exhausting day." I take a deep breath. Stephanie pats my knee. "It's all going to work out boo. One way or another...." She throws me a smile. "I'm so blessed to have you in my life." I tell her, honestly. "Likewise." She leans over and gives me a hug. I hug her back.

         "It's almost Christmas." Stephanie reminds me. "I haven't started buying any gifts yet." I tell her. I sigh, heavily. "I'm already done." She grins, happily. "How?" I ask. "I buy stuff all throughout the year." She keeps grinning. I narrow my eyes at her and groan. I'm so glad that she tries her very best to ignore the elephant in the room.

        The elephant in the room is the topic of Samuel and Brittany. Stephanie is very good at avoiding the subject. I'm so very grateful for that. I already think about it way too much. I don't want to talk about it too.

        "I'm going to run to the Dollar General and grab a few things." I get up from the couch and go grab my purse. "Grab some milk while you are there, please!!" Stephanie yells as I walk out the front door. "Okay!!" I yell back. The Dollar General is literally only a five minute drive away from our apartment. It is very convenient. I love it.

        I run into the store. I'm in the snack aisle checking out the awesome variety of Debbie Snack cakes when I sense that somebody is beside me. I look to my left and my heart jumps out of my chest. It's Samuel and Brittany in the Dollar General together.

        Samuel is in his wheelchair holding a small Dollar General basket with random food in it. Brittany is pushing his wheel chair. My eyes dart back and forth from his face to her face. I take a deep breath and turn around. I leave my buggy in the next aisle. I leave the store without buying anything.

       I've never been stabbed in the heart with a knife, but I imagine that is what it feels like.