Parent Problems

*Tears flow down Maria's face when Jessamine hugs her. Matai rolls up beside Vito*

Vito: *growls* Those bastards did something to her throat. The doctor said that her vocal cords were severely damaged. Might take a long time to heal.

Matai: *looks at him* But she called out to you.

Vito: Yeah. And that's what made them tear. She didn't say anything else after that.

Jessamine: Dad, Grandpa, Dean, could you guys give us a second?

*The men nod and leave out the room. Jessamine sits at her mother's side and stared at her*

Jessamine: ...you know, I knew we were gonna meet up again in a hospital. The circumstances would have been different though. I thought, either you'd overdose and they would have found me through my driver's license or I would have been found by one of your boyfriends, beaten half to death, and then they would have called you from my records.

*Maria opens her mouth but only hisses come out. She then reaches for a pen and notepad lying beside the bed and starts scribbling on it before handing Jessamine the paper*

I'm so sorry, baby.

Jessamine: *scoffs* Sorry...that's all you're gonna say? Sorry? Sorry doesn't even cut it for everything you put me through. The beatings, the embarrassment, the harassment, the pain, the torture...  years. It all went on for  years and you did nothing...why?

*More tears come from Maria's eyes. She takes the pen and starts scribbling again. Every now and then, she'd scratch out a word or two or an entire sentence. She'd started to cry at one point. Then she tore of the several pieces of paper and handed them to Jessamine with sorrowful eyes*

When I was  , me and Matai got into a fight. I had just found out he was going to this woman's house every other weekend and I suspectedd the worse. I wantedd to get back at him for it. There was a party in a few weeks and his best friend was going. Even though me and him weren't on good terms, I knew he was the only family Matai really had, and I knew it would hurt if he found out I slept with him. Dad had these bottles of pills stashed in his room so I took a few and snuck them into his friend's drink, pretending that I was gonna squash our problems.
He was too fucked up to even recognize me so I said that I was his girlfriend at the time. He fell for it. I recorded us sleeping together to send to Matai the next day. When he left though, four other men came in. I'd recognized them from a rival gang of Pride's. They knew who I was. They all took turns with me. After that, I stayed in the room until morning came and the homeowners kicked me out, despite seeing my bruises and blood everywhere. I hid out in a building Pride claimed until I got my bearings.
When I came home, I just said I got jumped and that was that. I also found out that the girl Matai was seeing was just that, a little girl. He saved her from a crash and would check on her occasionally after. A few weeks later, I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know what to tell your father because we weren't together at all for the three weeks so I just lied and said I was a months pregnant. I tried to abort but...he didn't want me to. Practiaclly prohibited me from doing so. When you were growing inside me, all I could think of were those men...I hated you. I hated what you were made from. I hate what you represented. I hated everything that had to do with you. But when you were born, my whole world crumbled when I saw your face. Even though I hated you, I fell in love with you the moment you started crying and reaching out to me.
Then, the memories of what happened to me came back and haunted me, making me question my love for you and why I even care for you. I started talking to Tony and he started giving me drugs. They seemed to be the only thing keeping me sane.They made me able to seperate you from being my daughter and made your into their daughter. So from that point on, I let whatever could happen to you, happen to you. I was no longer able to love you anymore. I only saw you as the child of a rapist so I didn't care anymore.