Deep End 🐙 Lucas Bennet

You looked around your surroundings from the tree you were in, seated with Lucas, your best friend. The two of you made minimal conversation as you lay on the rough bark. Your shirt had been torn in two, leaving what looked like a crop top left. You had a large hash on your ankle which continued to bleed like I had been for the past hour or so. "Y/N?" You heard Lucas. His voice sounded wounded. You looked up. "Yeah?" His eyes were dark and filled with tears. He held his leg tightly against his chest while his other dangled from the branch, all the while avoiding eye contact. "Is someone coming to find us?" He asked, sorrow filled in his voice. "I'm not sure" you shrugged. You and Lucas were the same age so you felt equally as scared as he did.

Some time passed and you were now sat next to Lucas, your backs facing the tree behind you. Lucas was fiddling with some of the branches next to him. "Do you think there will be another wave?" You asked, looking down and under the leaves to see the groggy water beneath you. "I'm not sure but it's been about two hours since the last one. Maybe we should get moving?" He asked looking over at me. I grazed my bottom lip and nodded slowly. He looked at me for another moment before beginning to skip done the tree.

After getting down, we began walking through the muddy water and out into the wreckage of what was left. Lucas was walking in front of you. It gave you chance to scan his bruised and scarred back, covered in large gashes. Your ankle felt weaker than ever as your foot was beginning to loose colour. Your face felt heavy with the drying mud beginning to pile into your skin as the heat beamed down on you both. Eventually you came to a small shelter. Underneath the water was clear and cool, being sheltered from the sun. You lay down in it slowly, moaning slightly from your ankle. Lucas helped you sit down as you lay in the cooling water, soothing your skin.

More time passed. It felt like an endless void where there was no end. There was no food and no fresh water for miles. Not even a single soul in sight. Lucas was wondering the wreckage, presumably looking for something to consume to keep us alive. The sudden jolt of wood against your back made your skin shudder and the faint cry. "Agh!" You heard Lucas whine. You spin around looking back to see a small hand sticking out. "Lucas!" You yelled getting up and tending to the fallen branch. The large spice of wood was seated comfortably on Lucas' spine, pushing him down and preventing him from lifting his head. "Y/N help!" He yelled. You slipped your hands under the branch, lifting it slowly being cautious not to hurt him. "Q-quick!" You said as you lifted the log slightly.

Lucas managed to squeeze through the small gap you had created. He lay panting on the floor from the lack of oxygen in the tight space. You sat down next to him. "Are you alright?" You asked, worry filled in your voice. Lucas closed his eyes slowly. "I am now.. Thanks for that.." he said, still a little out of breath. You nodded. "We need to stick together no matter what" he said, almost whispering and taking your hand into his. He interlocked your fingers together, creating some what if a warmth in the air. You suddenly didn't feel so alone. "Ok.." you replied bluntly and looked away from him. You didn't know how long you would be stranded here together, but you knew you had each other.