Chapter 68

"Maya, do you know how absurd that is?" Asked Hermione.

"They're brainwashing you. Peter is dead because he killed him!" Said Harry.

"Okay, it sounds crazy but it's true." I tried to explain.

"I meant to kill him," growled Sirius, "but Peter got the better of me....not this time though." I put a hand on Sirius' arm, in an attempt to calm him down.

"Listen to him." I sighed.

"Maya, you've gone mad." Said Ron. "He's not Peter, he's Scabbers! Now give me my rat back." Ron tried to stand again, but he swayed on his feet and Harry quickly caught him, then pushed him back into the bed.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," said Harry. "A whole street of them."

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," Said Lupin. "I believed it myself—until the map tonight. The Marauders Map never lies Harry, Maya is holding Peter Pettigrew."

Ron and Harry shared a look as if to say that we were all off of our minds. "Listen to him Harry," I pleaded. "I'm your sister, for the first time this year, can you trust me?"

He responded with a hard glare, causing me to feel a pang of hurt in my chest and take a step back.

"Scabbers can't be Pettigrew...it just can't be true, you know it can't..." said Hermione, as if I was a small, idiot child.

"Why can't it be true?" Asked Lupin calmly.

"Pettigrew couldn't be an Animagus. We learned about them in class with Professor McGonagall. And I looked them up when I did my homework—the Ministry of Magic keeps tabs on witches and wizards who can become animals; there's a register showing what animal they become, and their markings and things...and I went and looked Professor McGonagall up on the register, and there have been only seven Ani- magi this century, and Pettigrew's name wasn't on the list—"

Lupin let out a laugh. "Right yet again, Hermione! But the ministry never knew that there used to be three unregistered Animagi running around Hogwarts."

"If you're going to tell them the story, get a move on, Remus," snarled Sirius. "I've waited twelve years, I'm not going to wait much longer."

"Sirius please, calm down," I said, as he began to tremble with anger.

"I can't calm down, he killed your parents, he killed so many people—"

"Shhh, it's okay," I Said calmingly. "We'll get him locked up in Azkaban where he belongs."

Ron, Hermione, and Harry stared at me if I was crazy.

Then Lupin began to tell the story of his lycanthropy, (how he became a werewolf) and how Sirius, Peter and my father became animagi too.

"Dumbledore, he's been really helping me throughout this. He let me into Hogwarts as a boy, and gave me a job, even though Snape's been telling him of his untrustworthy I am."

"Snape?" Asked Sirius. "What's Snape got to do with it?"

"Remember a few months back, I told you that Snape is the Potions teacher at Hogwarts now," I Said.

"You see, Snape has his reasons for thinking that I was not to be trusted, considering Sirius here played a trick on him which nearly got him killed, a trick which involved me...."

"Sirius, you did not," I Said, scowling at him.

"It served him right," he sneered. "Sneaking around, trying to find out what we were up to...hoping he could get us expelled..."