94

*Demi's POV*

Saying goodbye to Spencer for the last time in three years was one of the hardest thing's I've ever done, especially since I knew I was moving. Joe, Sophie and I had decided to move back to Texas. Joe and Sophie's wedding was approaching, and everyone was getting excided.

Walking out of that coffee shop for the last time, felt so weird. It was like I was saying goodbye to a part of me. 

Telling the whole world you and this person broke up; is always hard, especially when it's been over a year...

I met up at Joe's since he had Colby, Colby playing with his cousins since Kevin had come over for some work stuff. I was excided to see Dani, it had been a while. 

I walked into the Jonas' residence and went into the kitchen to give Dani hug before sitting down. 

I was shocked at how well Sophie and I were starting to get along. I was sure I was gonna hate her for life; but she was growing on me. 

"How did it go with Spencer?" Sophie asked and I groaned, laying my head on the counter. 

"It's so weird to say goodbye to someone I devoted so much time to. I really thought she was the love of my life; my happily ever after y'know?" I sighed, glancing up at the blonde haired girl. 

"Yeah, but that was just one chapter of you're whole story, you'll meet someone else who will either be your second chapter or they will be your happily ever after" 

It felt good to have some family time; to think things through. It gave me a moment of reflecting. Thinking about what I went through the past three and a half years; to think the good and the bad, what I wanted to do; where I wanted to go. I have a whole lifetime ahead of me, this was just part of it. She's someone who I met by accident; got on with, fell for; and left. She's not my happily ever after, but does happily ever after's exist? Do I settle? Or strive for the best? Is she the best? Or could there be better? 

"You alright Demi?" I heard and nodded, standing up so I didn't fall asleep at the counter.

"Pizza or BBQ for dinner?" Joe asked the group and I just laid my head back down.

I feel like shit.

"Dem, you sure you're good?" I heard but I ignored them and just slowly closed my eyes. 

"Just let her be; she had a hard day" I heard faintly as I opened my eyes. 

"You slept through dinner" I heard someone tell me and I nodded, keeping my head down on the cool surface. 

"You feeling alright?"

"Mhm, just tired" I mumbled, feeling someone rub my back. 

I slowly slipped under again; and when I woke up the next time, my back hurt like hell.

I stood up and twisted and turned, hearing it crack and pop.

Ugh

"Hey sleepyhead" I heard, making me jump as I turned around.

"Good lord, wear a bell" I held my hand to my chest as Joe laughed.

"You alright?" He asked and I nodded, walking towards his living room.

We sat down on his couch, and he pulled my close into a hug.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked and I sighed, feeling comfort in his arms.

"Yeah" I whispered and he nodded, waiting for me to continue.

"It's a weird feeling; it's like I have held this grudge against her for so long, and the only way the let it go was to break up. I felt like I was holding a part of me back; the thing I was dreaming about. Stopping music just to help her through her life; I felt like I was resenting her for me stopping what I love. She never asked me to, but I felt like I needed to... like for her to live out her dream; I needed to give up mine."

"Did she say that to you?" He asked and I shook my head, sighing.

"No; but I felt that way" 

"Feeling for you has been a struggle, does she know that?"

"It's too late now" I grumbled and he chuckled softly.

"It's never too late"

"Is it bad, that I said yes to marrying her... when all I could think about was you?" I asked quietly, leaning against his chest, getting comfortable, Joe kissing the top of my head.

 when all I could think about was you?" I asked quietly, leaning against his chest, getting comfortable, Joe kissing the top of my head

"You were trying to move on Demetria, there is nothing wrong with that. I always told you; you can love two people, you just love the one person more. When I asked you; who you wanted to marry, who did you tell me you saw?" Joe asked and a faint smile came onto my face.

"You" I whispered and he nodded.

"You're still moving on, I told you I saw Sophie, right?" He asked and I nodded, hugging his waist and holding him close.

"Yeah..."

"What if I told you I lied?" He whispered, making me look up at him.

"What do you mean?"

"All I've ever wanted was you" He whispered and I felt like my heart was soaring; like the world was turning again, like I could breath. 

The smile spread across my face as I starred at the older man. 

"Then why did you try to help me with Spencer?"

"Because I was with Sophie, and you needed to move on Dem" he sighed and I rolled my eyes.

"If you want me, and I want you; why are we with other people?"

"Because we didn't work out the first time" Joe leaned his head against my own, taking in a deep breath.

"That doesn't mean we won't work out the second time" I smirked and I heard his soft chuckle, making me smile.

"But there is only one thing stopping us" Joe whispered, making me shift to look up into his eyes.

"and what's that?"

"This" Joe whispered and the next thing I knew, his lips had landed on mine, fitting perfectly; like they were meant to be there the whole time.

I was left with one question;

Who was my better?

* * * *

Written on: August 7th 2018

Published on: August 7th 2018

Word Count: 1077