80. smartest federal minds

summary
in which ellie finds herself frequently calling her husband for advice

relationships
spencer reid x ellie bishop

cast
matthew gray gubler as spencer reid
emily wickersham as ellie bishop
mark harmon as jethro gibbs
michael weatherly as tony dinozzo
sean murray as tim mcgee
paget brewster as emily prentiss

fandoms
criminal minds
ncis

When Gibbs and DiNozzo first met Analyst Eleanor 'Ellie' Bishop-Reid, the first thing DiNozzo asked her was about her name.

"So, what do you want us to call you?" Tony asked, looking at the blonde analyst sitting on the break room floor. "Since you have two last names and all."

"Oh right." Ellie blushed.

"You didn't forget, did you?" Tony looked amused.

"We've only been married for 2 months." Ellie defended herself. "Anyway, you can use either one if you want. Bishop is my last name, but i really don't have a preference."

"Alright. Bishop it is."

Ellie stared at the files around her, and yet nothing was clicking and Parsa was still out there. She let out a frustrated sound, ignoring the curious look from Tony and grabbed her phone, dialling a familiar number.

"Hey Spence."

"Hey Ellie. I'm kind of in the middle of a case at the moment."

"I know. And i wouldn't have called you unless i was out of idea's." She admitted with a frown. A couple hundred miles across the US in Tennessee Doctor Spencer Bishop-Reid turned away from his geographical profile. "My head's all scrambled babe."

"Emily, mind if i take this?" Spencer asked Em, who was their new Unit Chief. "It's Ellie."

"Go ahead, we got this." Spencer ignored the questioning looks from Garcia and Luke and moved into a more private place.

"Alright, go ahead Ellie." Spencer spoke to Ellie for the next 20 minutes and eventually he managed to help her organise her thoughts, something that she frequently had problems with.

"Thanks babe." Ellie sighed. "Don't know what i'd do without you."

"Crash and burn." Spencer grinned to himself. "I gotta get back, but i'll see you in a few days?"

"Always." Ellie promised. "I love you."

"I love you too."

Spencer gets back into DC after three back to back cases and just after NCIS take down Parsa, so when he gets in he isn't surprised to hear a voicemail on the machine saying she'd be late at the office. After taking a quick shower and changing into something more smart - a deep purple shirt, black waistcoat with red lining and a pocket watch, dress pants and shoes and his pea coat and satchel - he grabbed his car keys to his red corvette and his credentials and headed back out.

The NCIS building was quiet, but then it was 7 pm and most had gone home for the day. Before coming he'd decided to grab Chinese, but had also bought some for the rest of Ellie's team since both of them had the order memorised and since he knew the stresses of working late at the office. Bypassing security with his FBI creds, he pressed the two on the elevator and waited patiently in the lift, then stepping out onto the bullpen floor-

-Only to be immediately assaulted by horrifying orange walls.

"Christ." Spencer mumbled under his breath, adjusting the bags in his hand as he walked so he could pull his glasses out his pocket with his free hand and slide them on. "Guess who brought food?" Immediately Ellie perked up, entire face lighting up at the sight of him.

"Spencer!" She hadn't seen him in almost a month, which while wasn't the longest they'd been apart still wasn't ideal. "You're back!"

"About an hour." Spencer confirmed.

"Uh, sorry to interrupt but you mentioned food?" Spencer looked up at the older agent, and suddenly he realised why the name was so familiar.

"Yep." Spencer handed Tony the bag he'd labeled. "You're DiNozzo right? You worked at Baltimore PD?"

"Yep, that's me." DiNozzo confirmed, taking the bags labeled Gibbs and McGee and giving it to them. McGee looked grateful, but Gibbs either didn't notice or isn't paying attention.

"I'm Senior Special Agent Doctor Spencer Bishop-Reid of the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit." Spencer introduced himself, only then realising in the back of his mind how much of a mouthful his title was. "You handled my case at Baltimore. I got jumped in-"

"The middle of a gas station and you were only 17." Tony suddenly remembered, nodding. "If i remember correctly you put them both in the hospital."

"Luck." Spencer shrugged it off. "I was coming back from my first and only baseball game."

"So you went Feeb huh?" Tony leant back against his desk, digging through a container of Mu-shu pork while Spencer made himself comfortable on the drawers behind Ellie's desk.

"I was recruited right out of CalTech after i got my third PhD when i was 21." Spencer nodded. "Honestly? I've been with the BAU since 2003, and i'm tired." Spencer and Ellie have talked about this a lot, more so since Emily had managed to spring him from jail early 2016. He still has nightmares from what he did in there - he doesn't regret it though. "A few months ago i got framed for a murder i didn't commit and spent over a month in a maximum security prison." Tony paled, along with Tim and even Gibbs looked up with a shocked expression at that. Ellie looked away, even as Spencer gently put his hand on her shoulder and swiping with his thumb gently.

"That explains why you seemed so strung out last month, Bishop." Gibbs finally said and Ellie looked sheepishly at her boss.

"I didn't know how to process it so i didn't talk about it." Ellie shrugged, grabbing one of the containers of noodles and eating them.

"I got everyone something to eat." Spencer spoke up, breaking the tension. "Ellie told me what you liked a few months ago."

"And you remembered?" Tim asked curiously, taking the food that he saw had his name written on it that Tony put on his desk.

"Eidetic memory."

"Photographic memory." Both of them said at the same time. Gibbs stared at both of them for a solid minute before accepting the Chinese food and sitting back down at his desk.

"So..." Spencer took up a seat on the floor beside Ellie's desk. "What's got y'all so stumped?"

"Marine seemingly killed his wife, but there's no motive, no reasoning behind it." Gibbs stated around a mouthful of noodles.

"Huh." Spencer leaned forward, reading the report off the screen. "No, it wasn't the husband."

"How can you know that?" Tony asked with a scoff. "Man confessed."

"Have you ever confessed to doing something you didn't to protect someone else?" Spencer asked with a raised eyebrow, which shut up Tony. "Hear me out. He was cheating on her with another woman, but that woman had no idea she wasn't the only woman in his life. She found out about the wife, and in a blinding fit of rage killed her."

"McGee, bring up bank records and GPS locations for the last 6 months." Gibbs ordered.

"On it boss." Gibbs looked over at the Profiler.

"Good job." Spencer grinned, and he and Ellie slyly exchanged fist bumps. Gibbs glanced over at the couple with a barely there smile, shaking his head.

"You know Agent Reid." Gibbs said casually. "If you're ever looking for a new challenge, come see me." Spencer raised a brow at Ellie, who shrugged.

"Will do, Gibbs."

authors note
added a little bit at the end to go with the part where spencer says he's a little tired of the bau