151. ten years later gg

summary
10 years after the finale of gilmore girls, rory returned to stars hollow with a surprising twist in her journalist career

relationships
luke danes x lorelai gilmore
rory gilmore x matthew reid

cast
alexis bledel as us air force major rory gilmore
lauren graham as lorelai gilmore
matthew gray gubler as us marine corps lt colonel matthew ' matty ' reid
scott patterson as luke danes
melissa mccarthy as sookie st james

fandom
gilmore girls

Rory Gilmore stepped off the bus outside Luke's diner in Stars Hollow, dressed in light ABD/BDU's, boots laced up tight and tucked in, her cropped short hair pinned up smartly (The short hair was not a choice but an unfortunate turn of events that involved a training accident gone wrong and a minor explosion in a science lab). Her last name was embroidered across the right of her shirt, and her gold leaf visible on the front of her jacket. She'd just gotten back from her super secret deployment, and Rory could feel the stares of the Stars Hollow people on her back that were clearly surprised to see her, but merely picked up her duffle and started towards Luke's Diner. Rory had known these people for her entire life, but she hadn't seen most of them since she enlisted in 07' - right after the Obama Campaign and was soon after recruited into a top secret project because she was a good investigator and they needed that on the 'ship'. She took in the area around her with a grin, so glad to be home even if only for a few weeks. Of course, she was happy about more than just returning home and seeing her mum, dad, stepdad and sisters, since she'd been promoted to Major just mere days ago for working hard at what she does and saving lives. She was one of the youngest to make Major in her Squadron and was well liked by her peers. Not to mention that once she got back to base her CO was going to give her her own team, an honour she had been promised she had earned tenfold.

Before heading into Luke's, she checked her phone and was pleased to see that Matty was leaving the Anacostia-Bolling Air Force Base in Virginia - he'd been home for a few weeks before her, and had lots of briefings involving his newest promotion - and making his way through to Stars Hollow even though she just knew he was going to get lost.

Walking into Luke's was like being slapped in the face by good memories, the smell of coffee and good cooked food warm and welcoming. She looked around the mostly empty diner but frowned when she didn't see Luke behind the counter. Before she had a chance to go in search of him, she was suddenly bombarded by Miss Patty and Babette who looked ecstatic to see her.

"Rory Darling!" Miss Patty exclaimed.

"Oh, suga'h look at you!"

"Miss Patty, Babette. Oh, how I've missed you both!" Rory replied eagerly, hugging them both in turn before straightening back up and removing her cap, smoothing down her hair and sliding the cap in the loops of her camo's at the base of her back.

"Look at you." Babette exclaimed, the two older women looking at her clothes. "So professional. How are you doing cupcake?" Rory startled out a laugh.

"Wow, nobodies called me that in years." Rory grinned at the two women. "I'm doing well Babette. Finished up my tour last week and I'm currently on leave for the next 6 weeks before shipping back out. Oh, and I just made Major!"