45. the shadowhunter and the original vampire

summary
in which after being kidnapped and tortured by a shapeshifter who looked like his parabatai, he breaks up with magnus and takes a leave of absence from new york and heads to new orleans

relationships

alexander lightwood x magnus bane ( former )

finn mikaelson x alexander lightwood

cast

matthew daddario as alexander lightwood

casper zafer as finn mikaelson

fandoms

shadowhunters

the originals

All through Alec's life he was always viewed as second best. When Jace came he one upped Alec in everything, but Jace soon became Alec's Parabatai and everything in his life changed. But he was still viewed second best by his mother, and he hated it.

"I'm older than you Jace, I'm not in your shadow." Alec said stoically, hurt clear in his voice from what Hodge had told him earlier. He didn't give anyone a chance to say anything as he left, but this was just one of the many things that made Alec leave New York.

When Alec found out his parents were going to make him marry he was furious, but he proposed to Lydia because he wanted to make his mother think of him as more than second best, but he gave up that hope for Magnus Bane who made him realise that not everything is to be done for duty. Despite the faded soulmark that rested on his inner wrist, a drawing of vampire teeth with fangs out and the faded words 'That depends, do you always interrupt angry vampires?' printed in cursive handwriting, Alec did everything in his power to make his mother happy even when his soulmate had died several years before and he hadn't told anybody, not even Jace.

But now, as he feels the sharp agonising pain of one of his adamas chopsticks Izzy had gifted him for his 22nd birthday, slicing through his skin and making him shout and scream in pain, he just didn't care about anything else in his life except getting the hell out of New York.

Alec wasn't sure how long it had been, but by the time he was rescued he was merely a shell of his former self. He flinched away from anybody's touch, he didn't talk to anybody unless it was to get them to leave him alone, and he hated how vulnerable he felt. Magnus was more than understanding in the wake of his trauma, had informed Alec he also had a soulmate he had yet to meet and one day hoped to find them, and they mutually ended things. And then he ran. He ran far from the place he used to call home, the place where his family lived, from his obligations. From everything.

New Orleans seemed like the best place to get a fresh start. With his mind plagued by demons and his body riddled with scars not even the strongest of magic could heal, Alec Lightwood sought out the closest bar he could find and made himself a list. Sitting in at a bar inside a place named Rousseau's Alec sat with a glass of scotch, a pen and paper, and was simply staring at the paper until it hit him.