89. about that time alec gave everyone a cat

summary
in which alec found a box of kittens in an alley, and decided to bring them to the insitute

relationships
magnus bane x alec lightwood
simon lewis x jace wayland x clary fairchild
isabelle lightwood x maia roberts

cast
matthew daddario as alec lightwood
dominic sherwood as jace wayland
emeraude toubia as izzy lightwood
katherine mcnamara as clary fairchild
alberto rosende as simon lewis
nicola damude-ferreria as maryse lightwood

fandom
shadowhunters

Alec snuck in the back entrance of the Insitute with a rather large cardboard box in his hands. He was quick to avoid anyone important and escape to his room, where he locked the door and carefully placed the box on the floor and opened it to reveal 8 beautiful kittens. They meowed at him insistently, but Alec couldn't help but coo in utter awe at how adorable they were. Alec picked up a smaller one that was raven black and headed for the door, already knowing who he was giving this one too.

Alec found Jace in his room playing the piano, and knocked on the door with his foot.

"Hey Jay." Alec smiled. "I got you something." Jace quirked an eyebrow as Alec gently placed the kitten on the piano. "I found a box of them abandoned in an alley and i couldn't just let them die, yeno?" Alec attempted to justify and Jace just grinned, picking up the kitten and carefully cradling it in his arms. The kitten seemed to be sussing Jace out, sniffing his arm before licking him and nuzzling into the shadowhunter with a content purr.

"Thanks Alec." Jace smiled up at his brother, who was already making his way back out the door before he quickly turned back.

"What are you gonna name her?" Alec inquired.

"Smoke." Jace told his brother who nodded his head and left Jace to it.

When Alec found Clary, she was training with Isabelle so he figured it would be the perfect time to give both girls the kittens he'd picked out for them.

"Hey." Alec greeted, startling the two girls who were facing away from him. Izzy raised an eyebrow curiously when she saw the ginger kitten and the white kitten cradled in his grip. "I got you both a cat, because i found 8 of them abandoned in an alley and i figured with all the hell everyone has been through the last few months, what's the harm in getting cats?" Alec let Clary and Izzy take the cats, Izzy choosing the white one and Clary the ginger one.

"I'm going to call her Angel." Izzy grinned, scratching under her chin and letting angel lick her cheek and nuzzle her like Smoke did to Jace.

"I think Baelfire is a cool name." Clary decided, letting the ginger cat climb up her shoulder and perch there with a meow and a sniff to her hair. "Thanks Alec."

"Thanks hermano." Izzy hugged Alec, kissing him on the cheek and Clary followed suit before leaving the girls in the training room so he could seek out his littlest brother.

Max was in the library when Alec found him, curled up on one of the arm chairs with a pair of oversized glasses on his nose and reading a book on demonologies.

"Hey Max." Alec grinned, ruffling his brothers hair. Max groaned, swiping Alec's hand away from his hair.

"What's up big bro?" Max asked, just like everyone else eyeing the cat in Alec's arms curiously.

"I got cats." Alec said casually. "I found them actually. But i'm giving everyone one, because everyone needs stress relief sometimes." Alec held out a cat which had black, white and ginger fur towards Max, who took it without hesitance and grinned.

"Thanks Alec."

Alec was in his room with the last 4 kittens, one of them already specifically chosen for Magnus because it was the only one who seemed hella lazy. Alec picked up a male kitten that had white and grey fur, rolling his eyes as he hissed but let him cradle him in his arms.

"I think i'll call you Church, you evil cat."

When Maryse arrived at the institute she was immediately bombarded by a black cat with white rings around its eyes. She gaped at it while the thing merely meowed at her before Jace came up, a sheepish grin on his face as he picked up the cat.

"Sorry." Jace apologised.

"Why do you have a cat?" Maryse questioned, not hostile like she may have done over a year ago, but now that she's a mundane she's changed much.

"Alec found a box of kittens abandoned yesterday." Jace offered as explanation. "He said they'd be good stress relief."

"And where is your brother?"

"Either in his old room or office." Maryse nodded to Jace, who dissapeared with the kitten and Maryse set out to find her eldest child.

She found him in his childhood bedroom, surprisingly. She knew Alec lived with Magnus now, so his old room was barely used.

"Mother." Alec smiled upon seeing her, standing up fully from where he was crouched and greeted her with a hug. "How are you?"

"I'm doing well." Maryse smiled. "I signed a lease on an apartment in Manhattan. It's quite large, 4 bedrooms, kitchen/living room and several bathrooms."

"I'm happy for you." Alec smiled. "Also, i have a gift for you." Alec moved back over to his bed, and picked up a light grey and white kitten off the bed.

"Really?" Maryse raised an eyebrow at the kitten.

"I don't know if you've realised, mother. But being on your own can get quite lonely after a while." Alec says softly, and Maryse relents and gently picks the kitten up from his grasp.

"Thank you, Alec." Maryse smiled. "I think i'll name him Ares." There are two other cats on the bed, both of whom look lazy as hell.

"Yeah, so that's Church, Evil as hell.." Alec points to the rather fat white and hella fluffy kitten. "And that's Chairman Meow."

"Really?"

"Magnus named him." Alec shrugged. "He's in Singapore with a client till Friday so i figured i'd keep him here."

"That's... very Magnus." Maryse agreed. "This is a nice thing you are doing. I noticed just from being here that the cats are bringing up moral."

"I like to think so." Alec nodded, smiling. "After everything they went through, i thought maybe they deserved a little happiness."

"And you?" Maryse asked her son, looking at him. "Are you happy?"

"Yeah mum." Alec nodded. "I'm happy."

"Good."