38. no longer a shadowhunter

summary
in which alec gets suspended from his duties after his team are killed by rogue werewolves

relationships
magnus bane x alec lightwood

cast
paulino nunes as robert lightwood
matthew daddario as alec lightwood
harry shum jr as magnus bane
nicola damude-correria as maryse lightwood
maxwell jonathan lightwood-bane

fandoms

shadowhunters

warning: major character death!

"Alec Lightwood, by order of the Clave you are hereby suspended from your duties until a time determined we believe you have learnt your lesson." Alec gritted his teeth, so completely done with every single person in his life.

"You know what, I don't need this." Alec stated. "I don't need the clave, I don't need your stupid rules and I certainly don't need you, Dad." Robert Lightwood flinched as Alec slammed down his seraph blade and stele down on the desk. Ever since the war, the clave has been holding him responsible for so much of what happened and enough was enough.

"Alec. Listen to me. This isn't permanent-" Alec scoffed at his father.

"Of course this is permanent dad. Don't you see that? They've been trying to get me out of New York since the war. Now they finally have an excuse kick me out. What happened to Izzy, Clary and Jace wasn't my fault!" Alec shouted angrily, a stray tear slipping down his face as his father froze. "And I beat myself up about it everyday! But it wasn't my fault, dad. It was the feral werewolf who tore out Izzy's throat. It was the feral werewolf that ripped Jace apart limb by limb and it was the FERAL WEREWOLF WHO ATE CLARY WHILE SHE WAS STILL ALIVE AND SCREAMING! AND I WAS THERE YOU THINK I DIDNT SUSTAIN SOME DAMAGE? IM LUCKY THOSE SCRATCHES DIDNT TURN OR PARALYSE ME! But what do you care, right? It's all about the clave, we don't fucking matter. All we are is foot soldiers to do the bidding for them." Alec walked out, ignoring the looks he continued to received from the others in the institute and from his mother, who was trying to get him to stop. But Alec didn't stop, he didn't stop until he collapsed outside his shared apartment with Magnus, burying his face in his knees as he curled up on the ground, sobbing hysterically. He heard the door of his apartment open, and felt the familiar arms of Magnus curling around him.

"What happened?" Magnus asked him, holding him tightly as his whole body shook with sobs. He didn't say anything, and Magnus didn't force him too.

Once Magnus had gotten Alec inside, he sat him on the couch and wrapped a blanket around him, which he accepted greatfully as his whole body was wracked with shivers he knew was from the flu that he'd been feeling the last couple days. Magnus sat a mug in Alec's grasp, urging him to drink it.

"Are you alright?" Magnus asked softly.

"The clave had me suspended today." Alec uttered, shaking his head as he sipped the drink in his hand. "Sent my father to do it and everything."

"Why?"

"They've been trying to get me out of the New York Institute for almost 3 years, but when the werewolf incident got back to them they finally had their motive." Alec said bitterly, shaking his head. "They blame me for loosing 4 of the best shadowhunters."

"You only lost 3 Alec." Magnus said, curious to why Alec said 4.

"No, I lost myself that night Magnus." Alec looked at Magnus with a desperate look. "When Jace died I lost everything I ever was."

"Because he's your parabatai."

"Because they were my family, Magnus." Alec said seriously. "And now, you're all i got left."

"I'll always be here for you." Magnus said fiercely, lovingly. "Until the day you die or vice versa. Nothing will ever change how mych i love you."

"I love you too."

A year passed since the day Alec was removed from command and he hadn't quite gotten over it, but he had accepted he couldn't do anything about it and now he was travelling with Magnus and their four year old son Max. He and Magnus had found the orphaned Warlock boy when they were in Australia, and while Magnus was excited Alec was weary. He was worried he would be raised like he was, and didn't want that for anybody. It took the persuasion of Magnus to assure him it was a great idea to adopt the boy before he finally relented.

"Are you sure you're ready to go back?" Magnus asked Alec. The couple were standing in the middle of their apartment in Hong Kong and Max was sleeping in the next room.

"Yeah, I need to face them again." Alec shrugged, sitting on the sofa. "I also kind of miss being a Shadowhunter, you know? Not the almost dying or the killing innocent downworlders, but the thrill of helping people."

"I understand."

"You always do." Alec whispered lovingly to his husband who merely winked.

The first person Alec found once he was back in New York was his mother. He sent her a fire message before meeting her, asking her to bring his bow and some arrows, along with his Stele. A lot of his runes had faded with unuse, like his healing rune and his strength rune, his stamina rune, agility, all his runes accociated with archery were gone as well, but Alec had worked out how to shoot arrows the mundane way so he didn't really need them anymore but that didn't stop him from feeling uncomfortable without them.

"Alec." He turned around to find his mother approaching him. She had everything he asked for with her, and Alec was surprised because he didn't think she would bring them.

"Mother." Alec let his mother hug him, wrapping his arms around her in return.

"How have you been?" Maryse asked her son once they pulled away, sitting down on a park bench and pulling him to sit with her.

"I'm doing a lot better than I was a year ago." Is what Alec settled on, which was more than enough for his mother who smiled happily.

"That's great."

"I actually uh, have a surprise for you." Alec told Maryse, who looked confused.  "Magnus and I adopted a child." Her face lit up, and she seemed genuinely happy.

"Oh Alec that's wonderful!" She told him and he smiled. "I know I haven't always shown my support for your relationship with Magnus, but I am proud of you. And a child, that's a big step for both of you. What's his name?"

"Uh, his name was already Max, so we named him Maxwell Jonathan Lightwood-Bane." Maryse covered her mouth with one hand, tears welling up in her eyes.

"After your brothers." She laughed wetly, hugging her only child so tightly, but Alec didn't care. He was just happy his mother was even hugging him.

And despite everything that had happened in the last 5 years, he was happy. And that was what mattered most.

authors note

this one was easy in the beginning then i got stuck sorry

also a while later magnus and alec adopted a newborn girl, and her name is isabella clarissa lightwood-bane bc they are his family and they deserve recognition