141. broken-hearted - spn, go

summary
after god kills jack, cas goes to two beings he's known for millennia for support

romantic relationships
aziraphale x crowley
castiel x dean winchester

platonic relationships

cast
misha collins as castiel
jensen ackles as dean winchester
michael sheen as a.z. fell
david tennant as anthony j crowley
alexander calvert as jack
jared padalecki as sam winchester

fandoms
supernatural
good omens

The bookshop still looked exactly as it did when Cas first visited nearly two hundred years ago. It hadn't really set in for Castiel until the brothers helped Cas burn his son's body, before a very distressed sound ripped from the Angel, and before either brother could do anything, the angel was gone with a flap of wings. Cas hadn't thought consciously, just wanted to be somewhere he knew was safe. And that just happened to be the Principality Aziraphale's bookshop.

The flapping of angel wings scared the hell out of Aziraphale and Crowley, who were in the back of the shop drinking some wine and joking about. They exchanged wairy glances, had sobered up in seconds and-

"Castiel!" Aziraphale exclaimed, eyes wide as the older angel rushed down into the bookshop. Crowley noted the distress, knew that Seraph was going to break down any second and then sure enough, the moment Aziraphale stopped in front of him Castiel broke down into tears. "Oh dear boy, what happened?"

"He killed my son, Zira." Cas sobbed, hands over his face as his knees gave out and he fell down, the Principality joining him at the same time as Crowley. The demon gripped Cas' shoulder firmly, as comfortingly as a demon could be.

"Who did, dear boy?"

"God." A cold icy feeling washed through both the Principality and the fallen one, and they exchanged wide-eyed looks. "He-he's just been playing with us. For six fucking millennia we all did as we were told, did what was right. What went along with the great plan that turned out to be horseshit! Then the ineffable plan! Oh, that was a great idea, and now my best friend hates me, my husband can't look me in the eye and my son is dead!" Cas was angry, but he broke down some more, hiding his face against Aziraphale's shoulder as the older angel ran his fingers through Cas' dark tresses, distress evident on his expression.

"Are you sure?" Crowley had to check, had to be 100% sure. Castiel lunged at the Demon, grabbing his lapels and looking more threatening than the demon had seen from him before. His wide blue eyes radiated pain, something Crowley has never seen from the angel before.

"He killed Jack, Crowley." Cas said hoarsely. "Just because he was Lucifer's son, because he was a fucking nephilim. He was so fucking good, just a little broken, a little lost. And now he's dead because God just fucking decided it so!" Crowley did something uncharacteristically unlike him, and wrapped his arms around the sorta-fallen-but not-quite-angel and let him cry into his shoulder.

"I'm so sorry, dear boy." Aziraphale hummed, rubbing a hand up the celestial's back. The sound of a phone ringing got Crowley's attention, but apparently the angel is ignoring whoever's calling so takes it upon himself to answer.

"What?"

"Who the fuck is this?" An angry voice came through the speaker. "Where's Cas?"

"Crowley." He snapped. "And to think you have the bloody right to talk to Castiel after the way you two have treated him this past few months, you're out of your bloody mind." Crowley snapped the phone shut, ignoring the call that came seconds later.

"Crowley." Aziraphale frowned disapprovingly. "Come on Castiel, i'll make us some tea."

"Tea doesn't solve everything, you know." Cas said quietly, tears subsided to the small occasional sniffle. He pulled away from Crowley, but gave him a small smile.

"Perhaps, but it tastes wonderful." Aziraphale beamed.

It was 3 weeks later that Cas finally pulled up enough courage to call Sam and Dean back. He'd been hiding in Aziraphale's flat above the bookshop, reading book after book. He barely spoke to Aziraphale and Crowley, who kept popping their heads into Aziraphale's flat to check on him every so often. Finally, when his phone rang from its place on the coffee table, Castiel reached over and picked it up. The caller ID said Sam, and he answered.

"Hello?"

"Cas?" Sam's voice sounded surprised. "Is that you?"

"Yes." Cas confirmed. "I, i'm sorry i haven't answered your calls."

"No, no don't worry about it." Sam assured him, sounding sincere. "How are you? Where are you?"

"I'm in London." Cas informed him. "After we burned Jack, i couldn't stay, i'm sorry."

"I don't blame you for needing space, Cas." Sam said quietly. "Your son was murdered, and we have to live with that being on our shoulders. We couldn't protect him, but him dying wasn't our fault. God killed him."

"Zira and Crowley said the same thing." Cas agreed. It was silent for a few moments.

"When are you coming home?"

"I don't know." Cas whispered. "Dean- he was so angry, Sam."

"You know he didn't mean it like that Cas." Sam implored. "He loves you. Has since the moment you yanked his ass outta hell."

"That doesn't change the fact that he broke up with me, Sam." Cas snapped, suddenly angry. "Did he tell you that? He- He gave back his ring, Sam. Goodbye." He hung up before Sam could say anything else, tossing the piece of crap phone at the wall and watching with apt fascination as it shattered upon impact.

"Did that help?" Aziraphale asked from the doorway.

"No, not really." Cas slumped back onto the couch, looking years older than any angel ought to considering the eternal life of an angel, that the vessel Castiel's had six millennia hadn't changed until he met the Winchesters.

"You never told me you married the Righteous man." Aziraphale commented, joining Cas on the couch.

"I didn't think i had to." Cas shrugged. "Thought you knew."

"Miniscule detail, in the grand scheme of things, don't you think?" Aziraphale hummed. "A Seraph falling in love with a human."

"He's hardly human, Azira." Cas admitted. "His soul, it's so twisted and broken, so corrupted by hell's influence. Even if he does die-"

"It won't be from old age." Aziraphale finished with a small sigh.

"And yet,"

"You love him."

"I do. So much." Cas admitted with a soft, almost goofy smile Aziraphale had only ever seen Crowley use, only once, but still.

"So go to him." Aziraphale prompted. "Tell him that."

"And what if that doesn't work?"

"Then he isn't worth your time."

authors note
an abrupt ending. dean apologises for being a dick