139. love binds us all - cm

summary
spencer reid loved emily prentiss, and she loved him, then she died and he left the bau to take up a consultancy with the us air force classified project, then she wasnt dead

romantic relationships
emily prentiss x spencer reid

platonic relationships

cast
torri higginson as doctor elizabeth weir
david hewlett as doctor rodney mckay
joe flanigan as lt colonel john sheppard
matthew gray gubler as doctor spencer reid
paget brewster as special agent emily prentiss

fandoms
criminal minds
stargate atlantis

"You know why i have to do this." Spencer said quietly, placing the last of his things that had accumulated at the office over the last 7 years. JJ already understood, they'd had an at-lengths talk one night, and Hotch and Rossi had signed the transfer papers after Spencer had spoken with Lieutenant General Jack O'Neill and been officially offered the job. They got why he had to do this, and wished him well. He'd signed a fuck ton of NDA's, and was being picked up by a Colonel Samantha Carter at the Pentagon for a full briefing on the Stargate program and the work he'd be doing on Atlantis. The only people who couldn't seem to understand this is what Spencer needed, needed the year-long tour in another Galaxy to really set his mind at ease, to remove him completely from any temptation of relapsing or thinking about Emily, was Derek and Penelope, though it wasn't hard to believe.

"So you're leaving, just like that?" Derek asked and Spencer sighed, shaking his head.

"Not just like that." Spencer disagreed. "But last week i realised i can't work in the same place without Emily." Both Derek and Penelope froze at her name, though neither of them missed the way his voice cracked. "I have to leave. I loved her, you know? And i never got to tell her. Guess now i never will." That hit Derek and Penelope hard.

"I'll miss you." Garcia surged forward and enveloped him in a hug, one he let her have and awkwardly returned. When she finally let go, Spencer pulled on his jacket and bag over his suit, and picked up the box before leaving the BAU office, knowing damn well Derek hadn't said anything.

Cheyenne Mountain Complex was exactly like any other military base, except underground and it held a stargate deep below. When he'd gotten to the Pentagon with two duffle bags - one with his civvies and his pyjamas and underwear and socks and an extra pair of boots, the other with pencils, paper (10 A4 writing pads) some chocolate, his own personal coffee stash and his favourite book. His creds were still in his suit jacket, and his .smith and Wesson was in his holsters on his hip like usual and his FBI issued Glock 22 in his satchel. Colonel Carter had picked him up like agreed, and then they'd been beamed onto the Daedalus where he'd signed a tonne of forms and then they were in Cheyenne Mountain Briefing room.

"Doctor Reid?" Spencer looked away from the Stargate, in awe of the thing to see a woman wearing a red shirt, and dark blue trousers with red panels on either thigh. Her hair was short, brown and curly, and she held a kindness about her Spencer found refreshing.