59. superfriends

summary
in which kara escapes to earth-one for a break from all the drama in her life

relationships
kara danvers x mon-el(former)
barry allen x iris west

characters
melissa benoist as kara danvers
chyler leigh as alex danvers
grant gustin as barry allen
candice patton as iris west

fandom
supergirl

When Kara Danvers said she needed a break from being Supergirl for a couple of days, leaving the city in the very capable hands of J'onn, James and Mon-El while she just got out of the city. Or in her case, out of her earth.

"Hey Barry." Kara spoke into the phone, her cheek pressed against the couch and a blanket tangled around her legs.

"What's up Kara?" The scarlet speedster asked his friend.

"Would I be able to crash on your couch for a couple of days maybe?"

"Of course. Is everything alright?" Barry asked in genuine concern.

"Not really." Kara mumbled, her eyes landing on the pizza and potstickers sitting on the table she hadn't eaten yet. "Can I come over now? I have pizza and potstickers?"

"You had me at now." Barry laughed, keeping the atmosphere light and Kara was eternally grateful. After ironing out the details, Barry and Kara end their call so the girl of steel could call her sister and collect some stuff before she leaves.

"Hey Kara." Alex greeted once she picked up the phone.

"Hey Alex. Some forewarning, i'm heading to Earth-1 for a couple of days." Kara told her sister as she shoved some clothes into a bag, dropping it on her bed before going into the bathroom.

"Why is everything alright?" The concern was clear in Alex voice as Kara returned to her bedroom to stuff the toiletries into her bag.

"Everything's fine. I just wanna spend some time with Barry and the guys, you know?"

"Come home safe." After another while, Kara hung up her phone and shoved it into her pocket, still in her fluffy pyjama pants and a long sleeved top since there wasn't much point in changing. After fishing out the dimension-hopper as Cisco called it, she opened a breach and picked up het bag and the food before walking through-

-When she came out the other side she was standing in the middle of a nice looking apartment and upon further inspection she realised it was similar to hers.

"Kara!" Barry poked his head out of the kitchen area that she couldn't see, a bright smile on his face. "Glad you could make it." The speedster wrapped Kara in a hug, one she didn't know she needed until that moment.

"So i brought pizza!" Kara grinned weakly, and even Barry could tell she was holding something back, he decided to let her tell him when she was good and ready.

"Lets eat!" Barry's enthusiastic grin was enough to make her forget about her issues for a while.

Around 2 hours later, Barry and Kara were sitting on the couch with the empty pizza box and potstickers container on the coffee table in front of the tv. Kara was clutching a cushion to her chest, a large throw across both of their laps. The credits of the movie rolled across the screen and Barry lowered he volume, turning slightly to face Kara.

"What's on your mind, girl of steel?" Barry asked Kara, hoping she would tell him. Kara sighed, pulling the cushion tighter to her chest as she shrugged.

"I'm not really sure. It's just, all my life I wanted to be superhero like Kal, but now that I am one it's like i'm not allowed to love." Kara finally burst, all of her thoughts just coming out. "And I try to stay strong, because Kal is strong. But I don't think I can anymore." Her voice cracked and Barry immediately sat up and pulled Kara into his arms, letting her lean on his shoulder as she burst into tears, all of her emotion and feelings just hitting her at once.

Iris arrived home an hour later after spending the evening with Wally, her dad and Cecille, having given Barry time alone with the girl he loved like a sister, sworn to protect even though she didn't need it.

"Hey babe." Iris called, seeing Barry sitting on the couch with the television off and a book in hand.

"Hey." He replied, but his voice was quiet. When Iris came to join him on the couch she realised why Barry was talking in a low voice. Kara had her head resting on his thigh, a blanket tucked up to her neck and her face stained red but her eyes were closed and she was sleeping peacefully.

"Is she alright?" Iris asked worriedly, but Barry nodded his head in assurance.

"Yeah yeah. She just needed to get some emotions out." Barry assured Iris, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "I'll be in soon, kay? I wanna finish this chapter."

"Alright babe." Iris kissed her husband softly, heading off to the other room while Barry finished the chapter in his book. He bookmarked the page, sitting it down on the table behind the couch before gently shaking Kara awake. The girl jolted up, startling Barry who quickly moved to soothe the panicked girl.

"Hey hey. It's me!" Kara had made a fist, clearly wanting to throw it but stopped upon seeing the speedsters face.

"Oh." She mumbled, face flushing red in embarrassment as she dropped her hands. "Sorry Barry."

"It's fine, really." Barry assured her. "Iris is back, just wanted you to know."

"Tell her i said hi?" Kara asked as Barry got to his feet, laying back down against the cushions.

"Course." Barry pressed a kiss to his superhero friend's forehead. "Get some sleep Kara. Goodnight."

"Night." She mumbled as she drifted off to sleep. Maybe her life was filled with impossibilities and struggles, but Barry knew Kara Danvers would make it through all that pain.

After all, she is Supergirl.

authors note
this totally sucked towards the end