Chapter 45-New Year, Same Problems

Elena

"Anyone need champagne? Damon?" My dad called over everyone talking animatedly. 

"Nope, I got scotch!" He said raising his glass.

"Shh! The countdown is about to start!" Caroline hissed smacking Damon on the shoulder and catching everyone's attention. 

Damon rolled his eyes but turned towards the TV. We had one minute left this year. Despite all the crazy, horrible, and bad things that have happened this past year, it has been the best year of my life. I met Stefan. 

Caroline looked back at me and gave me a wide smile, I smiled back. Telling Caroline what was happening to me had been a huge weight off my shoulders.

"You can see the future?" She gasped staring at me, her hands on her stomach. 

I nodded, feeling fear rise in my throat, "Some things have happened, and some haven't but it seems like they are coming true." 

I had told Caroline all about the dream with Stefan and she had called him immediately to say that she was with me and we were waiting for him to come home, just to make sure the dream I had wasn't happening today. I then told her everything I knew about what was happening to me. She didn't say one word while I spoke, she just had the same look on her face.

"Please say something else, I know I'm a freak."

"A freak?" She snapped and I looked down immediately

"Elena, you're not a freak! I have to drink blood to stay alive, I am dating a guy who turns into an animal once a month and one of my best friends is a witch! If anyone is a freak here it's me."

Tears burned the back of my eyes but I fought them back, causing a lump in my throat. I had been terrified to tell Stefan more, terrified to tell anyone anything because this was too much for me. I felt freaky, I felt sick all the time about it. 

"I mean...this is new. I wasn't expecting it but I mean...you've always been different.  I mean I  used to hate when you gave me advice because when I didn't follow it, you always turned out to be right no matter how bizarre it was. I just thought you were really in tune with shit, which I guess is true." She rambled. 

"I don't know if what I saw is real but...I don't know how to tell Stefan, I know he's worried but he keeps playing it off like it's not a big deal."

Caroline shook her head trying to understand everything all at once. "We don't have to say anything to Stefan. We can keep an eye out for now and if nothing happens for a while then we can talk about it."

"Sometimes he just tries to act okay for someone else's sake. I get why you don't want to say anything. Don't worry, I'll help you. But Elena, I think you need to go back to Bonnie's grama. Obviously, this is becoming much bigger than the last time you talked to her. She has to be able to help a little or give you more insight."

I nodded twisting my fingers around and around. "Elena, it's going to be okay. I mean if I can figure out how not to kill people, you can figure this out. You have always been stronger than me."

I looked up and furrowed my brow, "Caroline you are strong." 

"I know, I wouldn't have been able to do this if  I wasn't. But you are strong, and as we figure this out. We can tell the others and they can help. You're not alone in this." She replied, wrapping her arms around me. 

The fog in my mind cleared and the anxiety left as she hugged me. I knew that I knew what she was saying but sometimes it takes hearing it from another person to really make it sink in.