Chapter 44-Christmas

Dedicated to my Grandpa Bear, thank you for being my greatest love ❤

Elena

"I don't know what to do!" I cried throwing myself dramatically back on the bed.

"What is happening in here?" My dad asked wiping his floury hands on my mom's pink Minnie mouse apron. I giggled when I saw him, and he rolled his eyes.

"I know, I look so good. Bet you're surprised your old man is so sexy." He said wiggling his eyebrows and sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Ew, Dad! Way too far!" I cringed

"Well, your mom thinks so." I started to make a heaving motion and he changed the subject, "What's the problem El?"

"I have absolutely no idea what to get Stefan for Christmas."

"Um well, I'd say you're in a bit of trouble seeing as it's tomorrow."

"Daddy I've been thinking about it ever since Thanksgiving. I have one thing but knowing him he will have something super meaningful and I don't."

"Elena I'm sure whatever you got him he will love."

"I know that, but the thing is...Dad, he means so much to me and I know the present he has for me is going to be something so thoughtful and I really want to get him something thoughtful."

"I know baby I know. Sometimes the best thing we can get for someone isn't something that you can't buy."

"So... like what?"

"Well, your grandmother, my mother, died when I was 13 and for our first Christmas together your mom found a picture of her and me on my first Christmas."

"The picture hanging in the hall?"

"The very same. That, to this day, is the most meaningful thing, besides you and Jeremy that your mother has ever given me."

I smiled and hugged him tightly. He gave me the best idea.

"Thank you, daddy!" He nodded and then stood

"Now I have to finish making pies."

"Dad wait! Um...do you think you might be able to distract Stefan for a little while?"

He smiled, "That I can do."

*

As soon as he walked through the door my dad did as I had asked.

"Stefan my boy! I could really use your help with this stuff in here. We are trying to get most of it done before tomorrow and Miranda just needs to lie down for a little bit."

"Sure, of course."

I smiled wickedly but bit my lip when Stefan turned back towards me.

"Are you coming too?"

"Um...actually I have to run and get Jeremy's present." He frowned.

"I'll be back soon I promise. I wouldn't miss it for the world."

We both have been very excited for our first Christmas together; neither of us was thinking of much else.

"Okay, be safe. Call me if you need me."

"Of course."

I kissed him chastely on the lips and practically ran out the door. When I got to the boarding house I threw open the door. Samantha was putting a small box under the tree; she looked up at me and smiled.

"I need your help!"

Right before we walked into Damon's room I stopped. Samantha made her way to the desk and opened the bottom drawer. She then pulled up the wood to reveal a false bottom.