Chapter 43-Guessing Games

Stefan's POV

As I drove closer and closer to school I could feel the anger I had been suppressing for Matt start to build. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Caroline picking at her fingers; she was anxious. I wanted to say something but I felt like it wouldn't be too comforting if I did.

Instead, I reached over and took her hand, squeezing it for reassurance. She smiled at me and nodded, knowing what I was trying to say. If anyone messed with her, there would be hell to pay.

I pulled up and parked next to Bonnie's car. I opened Caroline's door and we both walked inside to the cafeteria to find everyone before school started. It was starting to get too cold to be outside longer than we had to.

Elena, Bonnie, Jeremy, and Tyler were gathered around a table in the back and as we sat down Elena reached to touch me.

"Everything good?" I asked as Caroline sat next to Tyler and smiled.

"So far..." Tyler replied but he looked around the cafeteria and I knew he was looking for Matt.

"Can we just leave it? Please? Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. I'm happy now."

Everyone around the table looked at her sternly and she rolled her eyes.

Bonnie then reached over and started to show everyone a funny video she found on the internet. Almost as soon as it started I heard Matt's voice from outside.

I stood up and everyone caught my eye. "I...uh..need to use the restroom." I hurried off following the sound of Matt's voice. I knew it would take them all a matter of seconds to figure what I was really doing, but that gave me a great head start.

I'm not prone to violence; at least not anymore. That's always been Damon's thing. Beat the crap out of anyone that pisses you off, but I'm not doing this for me. Over the weekend, as I thought more and more about it, I knew I had to do something. I may not be violent but I am protective. No one hurts the people I care about. Matt was about to find out why.

I heard them all start to understand what I was doing, but I had already focused on my target. Matt was outside of school grounds talking on his phone; just where I wanted him. If anyone had been really paying attention to me then they probably would have noticed that I was moving a little faster than a normal human being, but no one even glanced my way.

I heard Caroline shout my name just as I was approaching Matt, and he turned toward her voice; perfect. All the anger I felt for his treatment of Caroline and even a little for Elena was released and before Matt could even register my presence, I pulled my fist back and punched him square in the face.

I heard a snap, almost like someone biting into a carrot, and I knew I broke his nose. I heard a commotion and some shouting behind me, I even think I heard Jeremy cheer but it all seemed muffled in my head.

My thoughts were clouded with anger and the smell of his blood. He crumpled to the ground clutching his nose as blood seeped between his fingers and down his forearms. I leaned forward as he opened his tear-filled eyes,

"You're lucky it's only your nose. You even look her way, and it will get a lot worse for you, I promise. "

My voice was low and deep and I could feel the anger vibrate in my chest. He looked up at me in fear and groaned.

"Stefan!!! I said leave it alone!" Caroline shouted pulling my arm but wincing as I stared back at her with the same gaze I was giving Matt.

"Nobody messes with my family," I said firmly, turning back to Matt. "This was a warning."