Chapter 1-The Night I Told Matt*Edited

This chapter has been edited: 

Phrasing

Added details

Rewrite of some paragraphs. 

Thanks for reading :x

**************************************************************************************

Elena's POV

"Well what did he say?" Bonnie said into the phone. 

"He said he wasn't going to ask me to the party because we are a couple and everyone aleady knows that we are going together. I guess it isn't that big of a deal, but it's a lot of other things too." I explained. 

Matt was really starting to annoy me. I wanted to go to the party with him. I needed too. I wanted to see if I could make something out of this. I really wanted to make sure if I wanted to end this relationship. 

"Maybe that's the sign you're looking for, maybe you should just break up with him now ." I didn't answer for a minute. Maybe the best thing to do really was to tell him tonight. 

"I don't want to be with him anymore. I felt like I kind of owed it to mysef, to us, and our parents just to give it a shot but I don't want to do it anymore. Besides all he really ever wants to do is..." I trailed off. All he wanted to do was have sex, and I definitely didn't want to do it with Matt.

"Elena just tell him tonight and then call me back, okay? I have to go see Grams real quick." 

"Alright, I will." I hung up the phone and ran my hand through my hair. 

"Elena honey, dinner time!" 

"Coming!" I called back.  

 My mother was 35 and beautiful, she had long black hair the color of the night sky and jade-green eyes.She had a perfect complexion, tall and thin and her voice was smooth and soft.  

My father on the other hand was almost 40. He had dark brown hair and electric blue eyes. He was tanned and had a very strong sense of humor, he was slightly taller than my mom but very athletically built. 

Most of the time he cooked dinner, not because my mom wasn't any good but that's just something he's always done for her. Tonight was mom's turn though. 

I jogged down the stairs, walking past my dad and Jeremy playing Assasin's Creed on the XBox.
Jeremy looked just like my dad, except he was paler with freckles on his nose. They were both so focused on the game that they didn't lift their heads when I walked past them and into the kitchen. 

I walked in and leaned onto the counter watching my mother stir something on the stove. "What are we having for dinner, mom?" 

"Steak, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. Then, for dessert, cheesecake. Will you set the table, please?" I nodded and started unloading all of the plates onto the table. 

"I am going to break up with Matt tonight." I said quickly as I set the table. 

She turned and looked at me, shocked. "Um...why? I thought you guys were...okay?" 

"Well, I just...I don't know mom he just irritates me and I feel like I've tried it out and I just don't think I could ever be in love with him.

"Well honey you aren't supposed to be in love right now! Besides you've held on a lot longer than I thought you would to be honest." 

"Wow mom thanks!" I said and we both chuckled. 

"Okay," she said. "It's your decision, I didn't really like him anyway." I laughed and she called the boys in. 

When we all sat down,I quickly pulled out my phone and sent a message to Matt.

'Hey, can you come over around 8?'

It literally took less than 30 seconds for him to answer, when I said come over, that's when he answered the fastest. 

'Sure babe, why?" 

I was not gonna break up with him over the phone. 'I just wanna talk.' That's a nice way to put it I guess. It wasn't a lie, I did wanna talk. I sent the message and took a bite of my steak, while my dad told Jeremy about a patient that came in with a fork stuck in his palm. The work of a very angry soon-to-be-ex-wife.

'Okay...r ur parents home?'

"Elena no phones at the dinner table please."

Well I wasn't going to text him back, anyway, I thought. 

After dinner and dessert, I helped mom clean up. I stacked all the dishes by the sink and put away the left overs. "That was really good Mom, thank you." I said and kissed her cheek.. She smiled and the doorbell rang. 

"Good luck baby." She said as I sighed and headed for the door "That's okay! I'll get it" I called, as I walked past the boys playing their game and to the door. They didn't even respond. 

I opened the door; there he was. His sandy brown hair, big green eyes and his dimply smile. He had been a friend for so long and when he asked me out I felt like it was the right thing to do. I'd given it almost 7 months; but I've had enough. 

"Hey Mattie...we can talk outside." He looked at me, confused, as I stepped out of the door and onto the porch. I sat down on the porch swing, and he sat next to me. 

"So..." he said, and leaned in close to kiss me. 

"Matt...I really need to talk to you."

He pulled away and looked into my eyes. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my dad and Jeremy watching us through the window. I ignored them. 

"Matt, I care about you, and you're a wonderful friend to me. But the thing is...I don't think I want to be your girlfriend anymore." He just stared at me. 

"You don't want to be with me anymore? But...I love you." He said with wide eyes. "Matt you deserve someone who feels the same way about you. I just think this isn't going to go anywhere." 

"It's not gonna go anywhere?! Of course it is! Just give us a chance!" He said standing up. I stood too looking into his eyes. "Matt I have. I gave it 6 months! I don't want to keep stringing you along if I'm not gonna feel the same way about you."

"Well thank you, thank you so much for sparing me that pain and replacing it with this." He said angrily storming off to his car and leaving me standing there on the porch. 

"MATT!?" I called, as he got in the car. I sighed, sat down and put my head in my hands. Don't beat yourself up, this was the right thing to do. I kept telling myself that but it didn't make me feel any better.