Chapter 40-Halloween

Alaric's POV

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. Seriously? Do they just not pay attention to anything I say? I rolled my eyes and put the essay under the pile, not wanting to grade it now. There are 3 types of student. The first being the ones that don't care enough to pay attention and ramble on about the constitution for 3 pages even though the essay is about the effects of the holocaust in America.

The second are kids like Elena and Bonnie, who do pay attention to what I say and try hard to write a decent paper, with only a few minor flaws to comment on. And then...there's Stefan. Stefan is the student I can ask to write a 3 page paper on and he gives me 10 pages with a detailed account of what happened during that time period and how it affected individuals during that time, throughout the time after and even now, including all these little things that I didn't know actually happened.

I scoffed a little as I mark his 10-page paper with an A and wrote a little note on the side: It's almost like you were there! As I began to move on to Tyler's paper my phone rang. I answered it without looking at the number.

"Hello?"

"Rick! Get Elena, get here now!"

I sat up as Stefan's distressed voice echoed in my head.

"Stefan? What is it?! What's wrong?" I asked immediately gathering my papers and started shoving them in my drawer.

"It's Jenna, she's fine now but I need you both here now. Hurry. Elena is in Gander's class."

My heart constricted in my chest and I felt a lump form in my throat. I picked up my office phone and dialed Gander's extension. No answer.

"Damn!" I said my hands shaking as I dialed the office extension.

"Yes, Mr. Saltzman?" Maria asked with her usual raspy voice.

"Where is Dean Gander's class right now?" I asked quickly gathering my things.

"Um..." She said and I rolled my eyes. After what felt like forever she answered, "They are in the library."

I slammed the phone down and ran out of my classroom. She's fine now, Stefan said she was okay; I just simply couldn't shake the familiar feeling of the woman I love being hurt out of my head. I burst into the library and looked around frantically.

I caught Elena's eye among the students who had all looked up at my entrance. In a split second, she understood my urgency and started to put her things into her bag. "Ms. Gilbert, where do you think you are going?" Dean mumbled pulling his glasses down his nose.

"Dean, I'm sorry but I have to borrow Elena. It's about a teacher's assistant position she might want. I don't want to miss the deadline so I really need her now."

He looked at me, his dull green eyes narrowing and trying to somehow unravel my lie. "You have homework then Miss Gilbert." He said pushing his glasses back up his nose and turning his back to me.

As we neared the door to the library I grabbed Elena's elbow and steered her quickly towards my car.

Elena's POV

"Rick, what's happened? What's going on?" I asked stumbling to keep up with him as he pulled me outside.

"I don't know, something with Jenna." I blinked, my body suddenly going numb.

"What happened to her?" I asked, my voice barely more than a whisper.

"I don't know, Stefan didn't tell me. He said she was okay, though."