Chapter 28-Life and Lies*Edited

• Dedicated to Amelia Young

This chapter has been edited:

Rephrasing

***********************************************************************************************

 Elena's POV

I felt the tears sting my eyes but somewhere deep inside I knew that it was true.

"I'm so sorry Elena," he said.

"Stefan, it's not your fault." I whispered.

"I know, but it still hurts me to see you sad." he said softly.

I took a deep breath, "Thank you for everything, for loving me and thinking that I'm beautiful... just thank you so much for everything."

"Elena," he said gently. "You don't know just how beautiful you are."

"Thank you," I said, my voice catching. I sniffed, allowing a single tear to slide down my cheek.

With a reluctant sigh I said, "I think I  have to go home."

He nodded and whispered, "I understand."

He started to pack everything using his super speed. I laughed as he pressed a sweet kiss to my lips. He held my hand the entire time we walked to the car. As we came closer to my house, anger boiled up inside of me.

We pulled into the driveway and he asked, "Do you want me to walk you to the door?" I nodded, needing to stay calm for as long as I could.

We strolled to my front door, where we stood for a few moments, staring deeply into each other's eyes. "Remember Elena," he said, stroking my hand with his thumb. "I love you."

I plastered a smile onto my face and slowly let go of his hand. He left me, and I waited for him to disappear from my view until I went inside. The site of my mother vacuuming the floor greeted me. She turned off the vacuum and smiled knowingly at me. "So...how was it?"

"Fine," I snapped, causing a look of confusion to spread across her pretty face. I didn't mean to be that rude, but I couldn't help it. I just wasn't in the mood to talk to her.

"What's wrong?" she asked as Jenna and dad entered the room.

 "Do you want to know what's wrong?" I asked rhetorically. "Oh, I don't know... maybe it's because I found out that I was adopted!

"Elena," she said shocked. Everybody was frozen. "We, I-I... we thought that...Oh sweetie." she was at loss for words; she couldn't speak so she began to sob covering her mouth with her hand.

My laugh was bitter and unnaturally shrill. "You thought what?" My lips were curled into a spiteful snarl as I took in the site of my dishevelled 'mother'.

"Don't you dare talk to your mother that way!" my father cried out in alarm, panic etched on his face.

"My mother?" I questioned. "She is not my mother! How can she be? We aren't even related!" The words were too late to take back; they were out there in the open. I regretted them instantly, but raging anger blinded me.

She was weeping now, tears streaming down her face, eyes woeful and passionately upset. "Elena, listen to me-" he started but I was too livid to listen.

"No," I said firmly. "I'm done listening to you and I'm done respecting you. You lost that right from the moment you decided never to tell me that you aren't my real parents!" Filled with uncontrollable emotion, I sprinted to my room.

Alone, I was given the privacy to cry my heart out. With the radio blasting, I fell onto my bed and the tears came like the flood gates of heaven had opened. I didn't know how long I was in that state but I heard Jeremy shut his door and I knew what I needed to do. I took a few minutes to collect myself before leaving my bedroom.

Nobody was in the hallway, so I knocked on his door. "Hey can we talk?" I said quietly through the wood. The door was opened and I scampered inside, almost afraid to see them.

"What's wrong?" he asked, noticing my bloodshot eyes that were red from crying.

"Let's go to our spot," I suggested. "We haven't been up there in a while."

He agreed and we made our way to the rooftop, going through the attic door that was joined to the roof. We used to come up here all the time to get away from everybody. I was deathly afraid of heights but for some reason it was always serene up here. Mom and dad never realized that this is where we disappeared most of the time, there never could find us.

We laid down next to each other and I started to speak in the lowest voice I had, "Jeremy, I-I found out today that I was, I was...adopted." He snapped up and looked completely shocked and hurt.

"What?" he almost yelled. "No, you can't be!" His emotion caused me to cry again, I wasn't strong right now. My brother was hurt and so was I.

I nodded in confirmation. "I asked..." I froze on the rest of the sentence "...mom and dad and they didn't deny it because it's true, they just didn't know what to say to me."

He looked like he was about to cry, his eyes threatening to spill tears. He pulled me into a tight hug and mumbled into my hair, "You will always be my sister Elena."

Damon's POV

"You are coming back right?" I asked hugging her one more time. I didn't want to let her go.

"Yes Damon I promise," she said with a gentle laugh. "I just have to go get my stuff and then I will be back." She gave me a piece of paper that had her address on it. I took the paper, chuckled and kissed her.

"I love you Sam."

"I love you too Damon."

She drove away and I watched her go with a smile. When she was gone, a huge blow hit me from behind and I flew back smacking hard onto the ground. I rolled over and tried to look up but my sight was blurry.

"What the hell?" I muttered. I went to sit up but a weight was set on top of me. I tried to push the person off but they wouldn't move. I struggled against them, but their cunning voice whispered deceivingly,

"Elena is the enemy. Elena is Katherine. You must stop her and you must kill everyone that is involved with her. You will not remember this conversation, but remember...Kill Damon...kill."

The voice trailed off, imprinting the word, 'kill' into the air.