Chapter 24- I Love You*Edited

This chapter has been edited:

Details added/changed

Rephrasing

******************************************************************************************

Stefan's POV

It felt good staking Damon, and he deserved it. I couldn't even truly process what had happened. Lexi was my best friend since I became a vampire, and Damon had just killed her. She shouldn't have come back...not for me. I heard Damon grunting on the stairs.

"First...you send your stupid girlfriend to come talk to me, then you stake me!!" he cried. 

"I didn't..." I froze. Elena was here...with Damon? Before even thinking about what I was doing I bolted out the front door. I ran to my car and pulled out of the driveway.

If he did anything to her I swear to God I'll kill him. I got to her house, ran to the door but stopped. What was I suppose to say to her...or her parents? I had just told her she should stay away from me, but here I was, at her door.

I wanted more than anything to break down this door take her into my arms, kiss her and take her away never to be seen again, but I couldn't do that, I never could. With her, my heart fluttered like it could still beat. So how could I walk away? Because I could hurt her, kill her, break her heart.

Suddenly I didn't care about that; I wanted to be happy. But that was selfish, everything I was thinking was selfish. I couldn't be selfish with Elena; she's too important and she deserves more.

I knocked on the door and moments later Mrs. Gilbert opened it. She smiled and I could see the emotion in her eyes. She was glad I had come. "Hi Stefan!" she said. "Hello Mrs.Gilbert!" I said trying to sound remotely normal.

She smiled at the use of her name. "Stefan...you can call me Miranda!" she said beckoning me inside. 

"Sorry...Miranda...um...I was wondering...is Elena...here?" Her smile got wider and she almost said something when Grayson came in.

"Hello Stefan...." he said warily. He should be cautious, I thought bitterly. "Elena is upstairs." Miranda said. I followed her and Grayson up the stairs. I froze at the closed door. Her parents were watching me closely. I slowly knocked on the door.

"I don't want to talk right now! Just go away!" she said, her voice was thick with emotion and I knew she was crying. I leaned my head against the door knowing her parents were watching me and it was a good idea that I didnt say anything stupid like' hey Elena open the door 'cause I love you, and I want to make sure that my brother didn't hurt you.

She didn't know it was me anyways. I mustered all the courage I could, but all that came out was a horrible, pitiful plea. "Please?" It was intended for her to let me in, or at least open the door but it also sounded like an apology, like a weak man, wanting to make things right.

I heard a small gasp from in her room and her get off the bed. She opened the door and her eyes were pufffy and red; I felt the guilt wash over me. I had to close my eyes for a minute, I never wanted to her that sad. It was heartbreaking. 

"Elena..." was all I could manage to say after I opened my eyes. 

"Stefan....I'm so sorry about Lexi..." She said. I gave a small little laugh which sounded more like a dry sob. This was new to me, I was choked up, I couldn't seem to say anything. What was happening to me?

"That wasn't your fault." I said involuntarily. She looked at me sadly and sighed. 

"Do you wanna talk?" she asked and I nodded. She let me into her room and I sat down in a chair by her desk; she sat on the edge of her bed and stared at me. Her parents were still listening, I couldn't get specific.