Along The Way

Childhood Human AU. Warning: Long one-shot ahead! (7330 words)

I.

"Touka! Could you grab those roses from the 1st fridge?" Hikari shouted.

"Okay, mommy!" Said girl ran to the humongous fridge, pulled on the handle—obviously struggling with the weight of it—before a black-haired lady helped her and held out the roses with a smile. "Is this what you're finding for?"

"Yes! Thank you, Auntie!" Little Touka ran back to her mother to pass her the roses.

"Thanks darling." Hikari smiled as she wrapped the roses in a bouquet for a customer.

"Hey, I'm so sorry for not greeting you earlier! Thank you so much for helping my daughter with the roses! She's still little but she says she wants to work in the shop with me. Ah yes, what flowers are you looking for?" Hikari asked the black haired lady.

"You're welcome. Actually, we're not here as customers. I and my son just moved in next door upstairs and we came over to introduce ourselves. My name is Ms. Kaneki. Ken, don't be shy now, come out." The lady said, and a small black haired boy came out from hiding behind his mother's legs. "I'm Ken.."

Hikari gave a warm smile to the mother and son. "I'm Kirishima Hikari. It's nice to meet you. Touka, go on and introduce yourself."

"The name's Touka! Hello!" She grinned.

The little boy seemed even more intimidated at her smile and hid behind his mother's legs once more. "H-Hello.."

"Sorry about that. He's a little shy as you can see. I hope we can get along."

Without Touka noticing, Ken stared at her from longer than necessary. With her bangs parted to the sides by two rabbit hair clips, he thought, she's cute...

The next day, Ken went over without his mother, bought a yellow rose using the few coins he had taken out from his pocket, and held the flower out for Touka. Though afraid to meet her gaze at first, he slowly grew into it and stared straight into her eyes with a grin. "For you!"

*yellow roses mean friendship, joy and good health.

At that moment, she fell in love.

They were inseparable since, always went over to each other's houses to play and stayed with one another—even when Ken's mother passed away and left him all alone. The Kirishimas offered to take him in, which he did as he wasn't able to pay the bills by himself.

II.

10 years later, he is still staying at their house, unaware of Touka's feelings for him but is still best friends with her in high school.

"Touka, are you done yet? We're going to be late for the first day of school!" Kaneki shouted, banging on her door with his fist.

"Shut up already, I'm trying to hurry up! Have you seen my socks?"

"No!"

It's been only a few weeks into their new school and Kaneki has been talking to her non-stop about this new girl he met on campus. She has long silky purple hair, the most beautiful purple eyes, and a great style. He even brought Touka to go see this 'beautiful girl' once and though she wasn't interested, she was a tad bit jealous of the girl for catching his attention.

After a few weeks, they started going out and Kaneki stopped having meals at home or studied with her. She can't help but let her disappointment escape in the form of a sigh during dinner.