Baking

The half ghoul watched as his girlfriend stood before him, fiddling with her fingers, head tilted down. He knew she had something to say and waited until she was ready.

She finally looked up at him and made eye contact. "C-can you help me with baking?"

His grey eyes widened. Baking?

"There's this test coming up and I...don't know how to bake." She said, cheeks red. Despite being a ghoul and not able to eat human food, as a woman, she's ashamed of not being able to bake.

Kaneki smiled. "Sure."

---

He referred to the baking book as he put on his apron. "Let's see here... Baking powder, self-raising flour, cocoa powder..."

As he read the ingredients out loud, Touka read the label on the items and took them out one by one. Soon, the table was filled with all the stuff needed for baking a chocolate cake.

He then started to instruct her. "First, you crack the eggs into the bowl and mix it with milk..."

She did as she was told and messed everything up.

The shells of the eggs dropped into the bowl, milk spilt on the table, cocoa powder poured messily and last but not least, the mixture flew everywhere when she stirred too hard.

Using a tissue to remove the mixture from his face and throwing it into the bin, Kaneki sighed. I'll have to show her step by step.

"S-sorry, Ken.." She apologized, looking very regretful.

"It's alright. We'll clean this up and do it over."

After cleaning, he moved to stand behind her and took an egg from the tray. "You crack the egg like this—" he said, cracking the egg neatly into the bowl without dropping any shells, "and pour the milk like this—" he took the milk carton and lowered it to the bowl so it wouldn't spill, "and sieve the cocoa powder like this—" he patted the sieve gently.

Touka paid attention with wide eyes and was surprised he was so good at this. Even after turning into a half ghoul, he still knew his stuff.

"You...used to make cakes?" She asked.

"Ah no my mom used to and I always watched as she made them." He replied.

Hearing that, she didn't reply.

"And lastly, you mix them."

He took her hand into his and started to mix the items together with the whisk. She stared and admired the fact that his hand was so much bigger than her own.

"Now the baking part."

Pouring the mixture into a rectangular baking tin, Kaneki inserted it into the oven and set the timer to bake for 45 minutes at 170 degrees. With his hands on his hips and looking at the messy table before him, he said that it was time to clean up.

Touka nodded. They started to pack up, washing things and putting it back to their original places. She glanced back at Kaneki, who was washing the utensils and snickered.

She placed both her hands into the flour and snuck up behind him. "Ken."

Right after he turned around, she slapped her hands on both his cheeks, making a white hand mark on each side. She giggled and attempted to run away.

He gritted his teeth and dipped his hand into the failed mixture from earlier, running after her. "Come back here you!"

He swung his hand at her and the mixture flew to her face, sticking. Kaneki laughed as he watched Touka attempting to wipe it off with her hands while groaning.

Seeing him walk towards her with the whole bowl of failed mixture in his hands, she ran. The couple ran around in the kitchen and played.

They soon got tired and decided to take a break from all the running. She leaned against the counter and he placed the bowl down. He made his way towards her, standing in front of her and hands on the counter at each side of her body.

Cupping his cheeks, Touka leaned into kiss him while his hands wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer.

The two separated and pressed their foreheads together, smiling and laughing. The oven gave a little DING, signaling that the cake is done and Kaneki released her, walking towards it to take the cake out.

Placing it down onto the cooling rack on the table, the couple looked at the cake. It looked nice, despite it being human food. It wasn't burnt or anything so they were grateful they didn't have to start over.

Touka intertwined their fingers together and leaned her head against Kaneki's arm. "Thank you for helping me."

"No problem." He replied, pulling her in for another kiss.

They spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess they made in the kitchen.

- Extra -

Kaneki wrapped his arms around his girlfriend as soon as she came home. "So how was the test results?"

"I got an A for once in my entire life of baking lesson." Touka grinned and tip-toed to kiss him. "Thanks."

He smiled and pecked her on the cheek.