The End and The Beginning

AU where reapers, hell, and heaven exists.

5 months after the birth of Kou, Kaneki Ken passed away and went straight down to hell because of the many sins he's committed and people he killed. He was given the job of a reaper, where he was to collect every soul of the names that appear in his death book until he is allowed to go to heaven. The target is 1000 souls.

Having worked as a reaper for 5 years, he was disappointed that in his job of collecting souls, he has never ever seen Touka or his son once. Hell's rule was for him to never approach them and his friends again unless he had to collect their souls. He had hoped that he would come across them and see how they were doing but he never did. Until one day, his wife and son's names appeared in his black book. They will die in a car accident 2 weeks from now.

His heart flipped when he saw that and he gripped his black coat. How can life be so cruel to take away the 2 most important people in his life? He quickly teleported to where they were and was surprised to find that Touka opened another cafe, with the same name: Re. Tears escaped his eyes when he saw his wife and son—who was the exact copy of him—playing catch on the second level of the shop. He realized how horrible a husband and father he was. He can't even be there to protect them from their impending deaths.

Kaneki observed them for the next few days, noting down that Touka sends Kou to Ayato's and Hinami's house almost every morning and picks him up again after work. He can't help but think, how can he inform them of the accident so it will be avoided? He smiled bitterly. If Satan found out that he's trying to contact his family, his sentence of 1000 souls will definitely be extended.

He decided to do it anyway, anything to let them live. The male went through the door and glanced around the empty shop. It was late now and Touka was just washing up the remaining of the cups and plates while Kou played with a ball in a corner. It seemed that she didn't send him to Ayato today.

An accidental kick sent the ball flying in his direction and landed at his feet. He watched as his son wobbled to his feet and walked to take the ball before looking up at him. "Mister? Are you here to have mama's coffee?"

His eyes widened. Kou could see him! How?!

It was too late to stop the boy as he ran towards Touka. "Mama! That man with black clothes wanna have some coffee!"

Touka shot a glance in his direction and Kaneki could feel his heart beat wildly in his ears. Her wide eyes stared at him like she couldn't believe what she was seeing. "Ken?"

The male quickly turned to leave, disappearing through the door and she rushed to open it, only to see no one outside. She looked left and right but there wasn't anyone there. He was right beside her but she couldn't see him. Upon realizing that she may have just been hallucinating, her hands moved to squeeze the ends of her blouse and at the corner of his eye, he saw tears dripping down her cheeks. Clasping his hands over his mouth, he let his tears fall as he held in his sobs.

They were so close, yet so far apart.

It seemed that being able to see him for that one moment made her even sadder and he made a point to not appear in front of her again in case she saw him. So he chose an indirect way of warning her, by writing on a note. But no matter how many times he left it on her desk, it would always go unnoticed by her. Then he realized that the papers he used was from his death book and cannot be seen by mortals.

It's not that he could use normal paper either since he couldn't touch or move any object.

More days passed and his futile attempts of warning her were making him restless. He only has a few days left before it's too late.