"Thank you very much. I am very humbled that many have come to see my artworks at this exhibition and am very thankful for those who have purchased them. The name of that painting is 'Lover' and it is actually a picture of my current girlfriend. This is something I've never shared with the world before but I once was cheated on. 5 years after that, I met my current girlfriend one day in her shop and she was the one who pulled me out of the despair and misery I was drowning in. She is my only beloved in this world and that inspired me to name it 'Lover'." He then turned to face the camera at the front, as if he was talking directly to her through the screen. "And I love her with all my heart."

At the end of his touching speech, tears slipped down her cheeks and she covered her mouth to stifle her sobs. You idiot. Why the public confession? Despite calling him an idiot and stupid, she still felt incredibly happy.

--

After the interview is over, Kaneki quickly went to a corner and whipped out his phone to dial Touka. She picked up after a few rings and he smiled. "Hey, did you manage to see the interview?"

He could hear her sobs over the phone and got worried when she didn't reply. "T-Touka?"

"YOU IDIOT!!!"

Everyone in the exhibition hall turned to him and he bowed to them as an apology.

"Jeez, you really drive me crazy sometimes. Why did you do that over the public forecast? It's all your fault that I'm crying now. But, thank you. I love you too, Ken."

He smiled. "I can't wait to see you soon. I miss you already."

"Me too."

In those days that he was separated from her, he missed her so dearly and decided that he didn't want to spend the rest of his life away from her.

The day which Kaneki is expected to return happened to be his birthday and having known that, Touka prepared a birthday surprise for him.

"Touka, I'm home! Where are you?"

When he heard a sound from his bedroom, his heart started thumping wildly in his chest. What is this feeling of dejavu? Will the same thing happen all over again? The cheating, the lies, the pain. His hand tightened around the doorknob and he swallowed. That's right. Touka would never cheat on me. She promised me.

He turned the doorknob to see his girlfriend holding a cake in her hands and staring at him. Her lips turned into a frown upon meeting his eyes and she sighed. "Ah... you saw... I was planning to surprise you but you're back way too early."

"W-what is this about?" His heart gradually went back to its normal beating rate when he saw that it was just her in the room.

"Don't tell me you forgot that your birthday is today? I heard from your manager and decided to celebrate it with you." She answered, placing the cake gently on the table, careful not to drop it.

Tears brimmed in his eyes and he struggled to prevent more from escaping. He dropped everything that he was holding to the floor and tackled her with a tight hug. "I'm sorry for doubting you. I thought—I thought that you were cheating on me."

Though taken aback by his sudden hug at first, she eased into it and wrapped her arms around him. "I told you, didn't I? That I will never do that to you. But I'm sorry for reminding you of that. I should've placed the cake at the dining table. It's not much of a surprise but do you like it? If you don't, I suppose I can try other—"

She gasped when he captured her lips swiftly between his and pulled back hesitantly to smile at her. "I do. I really do like it. Thank you."

Cupping his cheeks and leaning in to steal a kiss, she returned the smile as his hands squeezed her waist. "Welcome home, Ken."