Chapter 25

Why was this the circumstance for our reunion?

Loganel walked at a brisk pace through the paved brick road of the Academy followed by none other than Azura and Mistivera. He worried that Iry might accidentally make the wrong turn and bring herself into the presence of students who were up to no good. Therefore, he looked around anxiously in search of her, knowing that since she does not know the layout of the Academy, she could not have gone far.

The cold winter air blew by, moving his hair behind him as he walked at a fast pace. The frosty cold almost felt as if they stabbed at his exposed face, but Loganel ignored that feeling of discomfort for his body felt warm due to the fast paced walking that he did in search of Iry. Due to this intensity in movement, his breathing deepened as he took in air and exhaled, allowing a small cloud of white mist to form before him.

Finally, on a wooden bench by the paved road near a secluded courtyard of the Academy, Loganel spotted her. She sat there on the beach, face facing the ground as her tear stained face seemed to eye it with a disability to perceive anything as she was trapped by whatever emotions she felt.

"Iry..." Loganel slowly walked towards her, allowing his voice and expression to soften.

"I don't understand..." She hugged herself with her arms, weeping as she did so.

"I don't either," Loganel walked closer to the bench with Azura and Mistivera behind him. "But...I can explain...I don't know if it will make you feel any better..."

Iry looked up and over towards Loganel with watery eyes.

"She..." Loganel glanced over his shoulder at Mistivera and then over towards Azura before looking back at Iry. "She is my fiancee," he said after mustering the determination to build up his courage. "But there's a long story to it...It's something that is out of my control and it is something that I cannot tell you or anyone else."

"Don't worry," Mistivera soon added. "Him and I hold no romantic feelings for each other. Never in the past, never in the present, and never will in the future." She said in a cold voice, almost as if issuing an order to herself. "This is more of a...deal that we have to make...As he has said earlier, it is a long story that I too cannot reveal."        

Iry wiped the tears from her eyes. "Long story..." she muttered to herself. "If that is so..."

She gazed at the ground, hiding the hint of relief from the others. However, Azura sensed it in that slight change in tone of her older sister's voice. This elicited a look of sorrow from her that she concealed to the best of her abilities. Conflicting feelings ruled rampant in her mind, causing her to remain mute and unable to progress in any direction. Instead, it forced her to remain stagnant, forcing her to cherish and prolong the status quo that the three of them have at the moment.

"It's cold outside," Loganel reached out a hand to help Iry up from the bench. "So let's head back."

***

The four then soon returned to Loganel's dorm suite, and when they opened the door, they were greeted by a blast of warm air that gradually defrosted their bodies. Immediately, they were relieved of the sharp frost of the outside world, allowing them to relax their bodies and souls.

"Finally back," Irithyl said with a cup of hot chocolate in hand. "Oh, and I hope you don' mind." He raised the cup up for Loganel to see, who then responded with a smile and a shook of his head.

"Looks like he explained whatever it was to you," Maria smiled as she greeted her sister-in-law followed by Azura as the two took a seat next to her on the couch adjacent to Irithyl.