Chapter 18

When Avelin returned with food for Loganel, Mistivera concealed herself with a magic spell of hers which allowed her to fade away while remaining in the room. Loganel sat down on the couch with a quite complicated emotion coursing through his mind. He felt a sense of empathy to her, knowing that they had both lost someone that they treasure. Both pains should be equal in gravity, yet hers was probably a pain of a different nature. Loganel's pain was a sorrow for someone who's almost like family to him while her pain was one of losing a dearly loved one.

Loganel glanced towards where she was standing a few moments earlier. Although she was invisible, Loganel felt almost as if he could see her.

What expression does she have right now? Loganel asked. Is it one similar to mine? All I know is that her facial expression will always be one permeated by sorrow and pain as long as Iliad's no longer in this world. Would the pain and sorrow one day evaporate completely? Would there be a day where a genuine smile will be exhibited by her?

"I'm back," Avelin announced as she entered through the unlocked door.

"Welcome back," Loganel responded with a bitter look on his face as he occasionally glanced over towards where Mistivera stood.

"You feel a bit better?" Avelin wearily smiled as she placed the food and fresh ingredients that she bought on the kitchen counter.

"Somewhat..." Loganel stood up from the couch and walked over to the kitchen counter, sitting down on one of the tall chairs.

"Have some of the roast beef," Avelin said, placing a fork in front of Loganel and then placed the fresh vegetables on the cutting board that she had found earlier. "I'll make some vegetable soup for you."

"Thanks," Loganel said and brought the beef to his mouth with a fork.

He quietly chewed on the food but could not find any flavor in it. He glanced down at the beautifully colored roast beef, but he could not see any of the vivid colors. It was as if the world itself had become quite bland and darkened around him, making it so that the only colors existed around Avelin and the invisible Mistivera.

He first glanced over at Avelin, who had her head turned as she placed the vegetables into the pot of boiling water. Then, he looked over at where Mistivera stood, invisible, but he could sense her presence there.

"Avelin," Loganel said as he turned to look at Avelin who was now seasoning the soup after having added in some milk and cream to create a thick, creamy broth. "...Am I a cripple?"

"..."

She paused in her actions and remained mute, probably considering over her response so that she would inflict the least amount of damage on Loganel without having to lie to him.

"Does someone like me," Loganel whispered as his voice trembled, "Does someone like me have the right to ask for help?"

"Of course you do," Avelin turned around and gazed into Loganel's eyes. "You were strong in the past, so stay strong. You'll get through this."

"Will I?" Loganel self-mockingly chuckled. "A cripple?"

He recalled what Mistivera had said about the possibility of restoring his arm. However, Loganel knew that the chances are slim. One does not simply create something out of nothing. Even if an arm is created, how will it all connect with him? The nerves were severed already, and permanent damage might've been inflicted. How would a new arm even help him?

It's probably just something she said to encourage me to take on Iliad's legacy... Loganel sighed. If there's a chance to go back, if this all can start anew, then everything will be so much simpler. I'll be able to save Juliana from the curse that day and save my arm. But...would it truly work though? If life was like a game with save points, would it be true that the outcome would be different? Is it not fate that drives what occurs? Wait...what is this 'game' that I'm talking about. What're save points?