Easter Egg Hunt

~ Dan ~
Dan's PoV

"Jessica! You've got to eat your breakfast first!" I laugh, chasing after her as she tries to search for Easter eggs around the house. I manage to catch her and lift her up.

"But I don't want breakfast!" She whines, pouting as I place her down on her chair. I even made her toast with Nutella, a couple of mini eggs on the side.

"Breakfast first and then we go hunting okay?" I smile. She frowns but nods anyway, reluctantly biting into her toast. The eggs have already been hidden around the apartment, some of them being right under her nose. A loud knock at the door takes me away from making myself coffee. I unlock the door only to be faced with Kyle. "What do you want?" I whisper.

"I'm here to bring even more joy into your life. Hey Jess!" Kyle shouts. I hear Jessica gasp and the chair scrape against the floor. Next thing I know she's escaped past my legs and is hugging Kyle tightly.

"Are you going to hunt eggs with me?!" She beams.

"Well, I actually came over to drop this off." He says, handing her the plastic Tesco bag. She opens it only to gasp and smile up at me.

"What did Kyle get you?" I ask, bending down to her height. She pulls out a fluffy blue stuffed rabbit and hands it to me, before pulling out a large Cadbury's Easter egg. I look up at Kyle, shaking my head frantically, which causes him to laugh. "Kyle... what did I tell you?" I sigh.

"She's my favourite child, it doesn't count." Kyle laughs. I roll my eyes and stand up straight again.

"You want to come in or?" I ask.

"Maybe for a few minutes, I've got to go to lunch soon with a friend." He shrugs, walking inside and sitting down at the table. I manage to take the Easter egg off of Jessica and place it on the table.

"You're only allowed some a day." I tell her.

"But that's not fair daddy!" She whines.

"Jess, do you want your teeth to fall out?" I ask her. She frantically shakes her head and sulks back over to her breakfast.

"Is Y/N coming over at some point today?" Kyle asks.

"I don't think so... she's spending Easter with her family this year." I reply.

"Wait, are you guys still dating?" Kyle asks slowly.

"Yeah, she just wants to spend Easter with her family. Her brothers wife had a baby and obviously that's the big hype of the year so, she's away meeting him." I reply. "I was invited to go but her family aren't keen on my past."

"But that was ten years ago, you're no longer doing that stuff." Kyle sighs.

"I know..." I mumble.

"What stuff?" Jess asks.

"I'll tell you when you're older." I whisper. She nods and finishes the remainder of her breakfast.

"Egg hunting now?" She beams.

"Sure." I smile. "They are dotted about the whole apartment except in daddy's room and the bathroom okay?" She smiles and frantically begins to search for the hidden eggs.

"Have you met the family?" Kyle asks. I shake my head. "How can they judge you for the drug use then but can't judge you for what you are now. You have a child for fuck sake."

"Language." I hiss. "If having a child doesn't scream reliable then I don't know what does." I sigh. Jess runs back to the table with a handful of small chocolate eggs. She places them on the table and runs away again. "I've hidden a few Easter eggs in her room but as you can probably tell, she's a bit oblivious as I put them in last night."

"Where did you put them?" Kyle asks.

"On her shelf, she can't reach them but she can see them." I reply.

"Daddy?" I hear Jess shout.

"Yes sweetheart?" I shout back.

"Too high!" She whines. I get it up and walk through to her room where the three decent sized Easter eggs are stashed. I pick up the Cadbury's caramel one first, handing it down to her, then the Cadbury's mini egg one and then the one I bought from Thorntons.

"Did you find eggs in all the rooms?" I ask.

"Yes." She smiles.

"Good, I got one more surprise for you though. Go sit with Kyle and I'll be one second." I tell her. She attempts to carry the three Easter eggs through to the kitchen. I walk through to my bedroom and pick up the large Lindt bunny and walk through to the kitchen.

"Is that for me?" Jess asks as I place it down beside her.

"Yes." I smile.

"Thank you daddy!" She beams, hugging me tightly.

"No problem sweetheart."