Chapter 3

Loganel walked down the isles of the Academy library, taking in the smell of old books that surrounded him and examining the spines of each book. He drowned himself in books on the topics of Dark and Holy magic, attempting to learn more about the natures of these spells.      

Due to his studies, he realized that Dark and Holy magics have different qualities when compared to the other elements. Dark magic consists of different sub types, such as Abyss and Chaos and Holy Magic consists of dispelling and blessings. With the information Loganel had discovered from the books, different types of curses exists in the two different types of Dark magic, yet the cure to these curses are one study in the dispelling section.

With a silent sigh, Loganel left the labyrinth-like isles and walked towards the entrance of the library. He could not discover any useful resources on these subjects for he had learned almost all recorded information regarding Dark and Holy magic from his textbooks. All in all, Dark magic is scarcely studied in this nation due to the heavy presence of the Church, and Holy magic is mostly about faith. Therefore, only those closely related to the Church could most effectively utilize the Holy arcane. Now facing a slump in his education, Loganel has no choice but to give up on relying the studies of others for the time being.

Outside, the sky was gray with a heavy overcast of clouds, and as Loganel exited the library and was greeted by the cool chilly winds of the winter. The wind blew against his warm coat, climbing up the surface of his clothing and spreading the frost through his whole body. To counter this, Loganel pulled the maroon muffler scarf closer to his face with his hands, which were protected by a pair of black gloves.

The trees had lost all of their leaves now as they stood tall in the chilly frosty wind in a deep slumber as they awaited for the warmth of spring to awaken them. The transition from autumn to winter was almost complete, meaning that the temperature will still drop a few degrees in the near future, bringing with it even more daunting bone-chilling winter winds.

With nothing to do for the rest of the day, Loganel began walking towards the front entrance of the Academy. He had no clear objective in mind, so Loganel thought about visiting Iry. Therefore, he was quite surprised when he discovered Iry standing in front of the opened school gates, hesitant and nervous in her behavior, almost as if she was afraid to enter. As she stood there, face slightly red from embarrassment, she attracted numerous stares from the students passing by.

"Loganel!" Iry's face lit up when she saw Loganel.

"Hey," Loganel greeted her with a smile on his face. "So why're you here?"

"I...can't come by and see you?" She blushed and nervously lowered her head, occasionally taking a quick glance up at Loganel with watery eyes.

"No that's not what I meant," Loganel immediately started clarifying his intents. "I'm just curious. And...you can go out by yourself now?"

"O-occasionally I can," Iry blushed. "I just want to stop by."

"Oh. So how's everything going for you? Sorry for not being able to help you find a home..."

"It's fine," Iry immediately said as she saw Loganel's look of guilt. "It's fun going out with all the girls."

"Is that so?" Loganel smiled. "Then that's good."

"..." Iry then proceeded to stare at Loganel, studying him in silence.

"Is there something on my face?" Loganel asked out of curiosity.

"No," Iry smiled, "it's just that you've changed a lot in after a year..."

"I did?"

"Yeah," Iry looked at Loganel with a pleased yet caring expression on her face. "You smile more now and just feel more outgoing in general."