Chapter 31

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 31

“You did what?” I asked as my eyes widened.

It was Saturday, two weeks after Alex and I broke up and Paul had just come for a surprise visit.

Apparently, he had an argument with Alex earlier and it went a little bit like this:

“I like this girl and I don’t know what to do to get her to like me,” Paul told Alex.

“You like a girl?” Alex snorted disbelievingly.

“At least I’m not the one who broke the heart of one of the best girls I know,” Paul replied.

“If Hailey’s that amazing, then why don’t you ask her out,” Alex snapped.

“You know what? Maybe I will and maybe she’s the girl I like!” Paul replied.

Before any of you get weird ideas, Paul doesn’t like me. He actually likes Carson but when he told her that he likes her, she rejected him, saying that he can never be a good boyfriend because he was a player. He was devastated and has been trying to come up with something to get her to see that he’s not who she thinks he is.

I know that she likes him but she’s just scared of her feelings.

“Think about it, Hailey,” Paul said. “We could pretend that we’re going out so both Alex and Carson will be jealous!”

“No,” I said, scowling at him. “I just got out of a relationship and you expect me to go out with you? His best friend?”

“It won’t be real!” He argued.

“But only we know that it’s fake!” I replied. “It’s real to everyone else.”

He sighed and bowed his head.

“I just don’t know what to do,” he said. “I want her to notice me!”

“Can’t you try something else?” I asked.

“I already told her, twice, and got rejected both times. I even went to her house and gave her flowers!” He said and my eyes widened.

I never expected Paul to do something like that. It was so not Paul.

“You did that?” I asked, shocked.

“Yes,” he said. “I did things I never thought I would do for a girl and she’s still rejecting me. Even after Mariah talked to her, she was still going with the rejection. And the worst part is that I know that she likes me, even if it’s a bit.”