Chapter 18

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 18

I frowned when I woke up in an unfamiliar room.

“I guess I’m more comfortable than the pillow,” Paul said and I jumped. I suddenly remembered everything that has happened; going to Alex’s house, seeing Eleanor again, going back to Paul’s house, telling him about my parents, and falling asleep.

I noticed that my head was not on the pillow anymore; instead it was on Paul’s lap.

I laughed and sat up. It was now 7:00p.m and since winter almost here, it was dark outside.

“Chase called you a while ago. He just wanted to check in on you,” Paul said, giving me my phone.

I nodded and dialed his number.

“Hello,” he said after three rings.

“Hey,” I said. “How’s it going?”

He sighed, “Horrible! Mom and dad are coming home soon, though, so after dinner I’ll be able to make up an excuse and stay in my room.”

I laughed at him and winced slightly when I thought of the headache he probably had right now.

“I’ll be home soon, too,” I said. “I’ll have dinner with you guys.”

“Tell Paul to stay, too,” he said.

“Okay, but I don’t think he’ll agree to that,” I said, glancing at Paul who was watching me.

“Chaseyy,” I heard someone call him.

“I have to go,” he said, sighing.

“See you later,” I said as I hung up.

I stretched and yawned before standing up.

“You want to come over for dinner?” I asked Paul.

“Not with those twins there,” he said and I laughed.

“I wouldn’t blame you,” I replied.

“You don’t have to leave, though, you can stay here for dinner,” he offered but I shook my head.

“No, I’ll go,” I said and he shrugged.

“Okay, let’s go,” he said, grabbing his car keys.

“Skye’s not here?” I asked as we walked to the front door.