Chapter 14

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 14

“Is this correct?” I asked Alex when I was done with an extremely hard equation.

“One second,” he said as he kept on texting.

“Who are you texting anyway?” I asked. His eyes were stuck on his cell phone the whole time.

“Sandy,” he said, still texting.

“Sandy?” I echoed. She wasn’t in my class so I didn’t know her.

“Yes,” he said slowly as if talking to an idiot “Sandy, a girl.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “Does she go to our school?”

“Yeah, she’s a year younger,” he replied absentmindedly. “I’m going out with her tonight.”

Now that I think about it, I’ve never seen him go out with a girl in our class. Sure he flirts with them but he never went on a date with one of them.

“Alex?” I said “Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah,” he replied, still pressing the keys of his phone.

I opened my mouth to ask him why he doesn’t go out with girls in our class but stopped myself.

Good job, Hailey, you managed to think before you speak, I thought to myself.

It will look as if I care (which I don’t) about his love life. And what would his reaction be? He would taunt me or get angry because I was being nosy or he could give me a proper answer.

The bad reactions were more than the good reactions so I decided not to risk it. Besides, it was still awkward between us and I don’t think I should ask him such a question.

“Hailey?” He called and I blinked.

“Um never mind,” I replied and he raised an eyebrow at me.

“Whatever,” he then said as he took my copybook and scanned the numbers and letters that were written on it.

“It’s wrong,” I stated and heaved a sigh when I saw him frowning.

“You messed up here,” he said and when he was about to point where his phone vibrated and he completely forgot about my copybook. He took his cell phone and started texting again.

I was getting angry. I understand that he gets bored while I’m trying to solve this stuff but couldn’t he give me another few seconds to tell me where my mistake was?

Suddenly, I heard a knock and Emily came in without waiting for a reply.