Chapter 32

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 32

Monday morning.

These two words are the worst thing in a teenager’s life. No one likes Monday morning and today, my Monday morning was so much worse than others.

I stood in front of my classroom’s door, with Paul by my side.

This morning, we would announce that we’re “dating”.

I felt like throwing up when I thought of how their reactions would be. I was pretty sure that the first thing they would think is how much of a bitch I am. And they’d be right if our “dating” wasn’t fake.

“Ready?” Paul asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. He looked just as worried and nervous as I was.

They will find out the truth in the end, I told myself as I nodded and he took my hand in his.

We opened the door and of course everyone’s eyes snapped to us. Everyone was silent for a bit and I could see the confusion in their eyes. They weren’t sure whether holding hands was a friendly gesture or more than that.

“Um what’s going on?” Chase asked, faking ignorance. I was once again amazed by his acting skills.

“What do you mean?” Paul asked. He was good like Chase and I wondered whether my horrible acting would ruin the plan.

Chase pointed to our intertwined hands and Paul smiled.

“Well, yeah,” he said, seeming shy. “It just happened.”

I really wanted to laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing was but I stopped myself. I just grinned like an idiot.

Silence again.

Tick tock, I sang in my head and my third ‘tick’ was interrupted by Nora as she muttered under her breath, “She doesn’t waste any time.”

I flinched slightly, especially when a few girls murmured their agreements.

Paul squeezed my hand and gave me a worried look. I swallowed the lump in my throat and gave him a smile.

I heard whispers and the word ‘bitch’ was in almost every sentence.

These are the words I should’ve heard at my old school but I never did. I guess it’s time to hear them now.

A part of me believed that these people wouldn’t judge me too fast but they’re human after all and that’s what humans do, they judge others.

“Hailey, what’s going on?” Mariah asked once Paul and I moved away from the gossiping girls.