Chapter 24

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 24

You know that feeling when you wake up in the morning and you’re still sleepy even though you slept well the night before? Well that was exactly what I felt the next morning. I was so tired and I didn’t want to get out of bed nor go to school.

Alex will be there, a voice in my head said.

But it was not enough to give me the motivation I needed. I loved Alex and I wished to see him, to be with him, every second of every day so you can imagine how much I wanted to sleep if seeing him at school wasn’t enough to get me out of bed.

I heard a knock on my door and I groaned as I pulled the warm cover closer to me, enjoying the heat and comfort.

“Come in,” I mumbled when I heard another knock.

Chase walked in, still wearing his blue pajamas and his hair messy. I chuckled at his brown hair which was sticking up in all directions.

“You look like you got electrocuted,” I said, giggling.

He frowned as he sat on my bed, next to my lying body.

“Are you feeling okay?” He asked, his eyes raking over my face.

“I’m just sleepy,” I said, yawning.

“Didn’t sleep well at night?” he asked and I shook my head.

“I actually did but I don’t know why I’m still tired,” I replied. I actually had an idea why I was still tired. Sure, I slept well last night but that doesn’t mean that I slept well the nights before that.

I haven’t slept well in a week and the lack of sleep had to start affecting me at some point.

“Did Alex give you something yesterday?” Chase asked.

“Give me something?” I asked, confused.

“Candy or something,” he said and my eyes widened.

“Chase! Are you implying that he might’ve drugged me?” I asked, shocked.

He burst out laughing and shook his head at me. “I was just kidding, Hailey.”

“Good,” I said, frowning at him.

“Now get your lazy butt out of bed,” he said as he stood up. “We’re going to be late.”

I groaned and finally convinced myself to get up. He closed my bedroom door behind him and I went through my usual morning routine but with a bit more of speed today.