Chapter 1

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 1

“Hi Hailey! I’m Chase!” A cute boy with brown hair and hazel eyes greeted me, a huge smile on his face.

“You’re scaring her Chase!” The blonde girl next to him said, hitting his shoulder.

“Hey, I’m Emily,” she said, offering a friendly smile.

“Um hi,” I said awkwardly, looking around the cozy T.V room. The Walker’s house is really big and I don’t feel so guilty about moving in anymore because apparently they can afford having another person living with them.

“Don’t be so shy!” Chase said enthusiastically “I’m going to be your best friend!”

My eyes widened slightly at the overly happy guy in front of me.

He’s crazy, was my first thought. Suddenly, Emily and Chase cracked up laughing.

“You should’ve seen your face,” Chase said when he was able to control his laughter. “I’m just messin’ with ya.”

“So does that mean we’re not going to be best friends?” I asked, widening my eyes and blinking rapidly.

They both looked shocked. “U-um I-I…” Chase stuttered and now it was time for me to laugh.

“Gotcha,” I winked at him and he chuckled quietly.

“I like her already!” Emily said happily.

“Why don’t you guys help Hailey with her stuff?” Mrs. Walker – or Clarissa – said.

“I’ll help you too,” Mr. Walker – Tom – offered.

“No, it’s okay,” I said “I can take them.”

“Nonsense!” He said, lifting my biggest suitcase. I smiled gratefully at him. Chase and Emily helped me with the rest of the bags and Clarissa led the way. We went up to the second floor and when we reached the third door to the right, Clarissa opened it revealing a room which was much bigger than my old room.

The walls were painted a beautiful shade of blue which gave the room a calm and relaxing atmosphere. The bed cover was a bluish green color and the curtains were the same color. The room kind of reminded me of the ocean on a hot summer day. A small wooden desk was facing the bed and to the right, there were three huge wooden closets – the same brown color as the desk – and the one in the middle had a full length mirror. There was a door connected to my room which led to a small blue bathroom.

“Wow,” I said in awe “It’s beautiful!”

Tom and Clarissa beamed at me as I stared at the room.

“We’re gonna give you some time to unpack and rest,” Clarissa said “Dinner is in two hours, okay sweetie?”