Chapter 17

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 17

Visit Alex? That’s not a good idea since I haven’t been to his house ever since I got here. It would be awkward especially if his parents were there! Oh my God it would be horrible!

“No you’ll take the money from him on Monday,” I said quickly “Let’s go somewhere else.”

He raised an eyebrow at me and I looked out of the window to avoid his questioning gaze.

“His parents are good people Hailey so don’t worry,” Paul said.

That’s exactly what I’m worried about! I don’t want to see his parents giving me accusing glares because I hurt their son by being a bitch. I know that his parents are good. Heck, they are two of the best people I know!

“But I—” I tried to protest but I had no idea what to say.

“It’ll be fine, Hailey,” he said reassuringly as he drove down the road “If you feel uncomfortable just tell me and we’ll leave.”

I couldn’t argue with him without telling him the real reason behind it. He was the one driving anyway. I tried to convince myself that his parents won’t be home now. They’re probably working since it’s still in the afternoon.

I tried to calm myself down but I couldn’t stop the clenching of my stomach because of the nervousness.

Fifteen minutes later, Paul stopped the car and I looked out of the window to see a two-story building. There was a small garden in the front with colorful flowers. The exterior alone had a homey feeling so I couldn’t imagine how cozy the inside would be.

Biting my lip, I hesitantly opened my car door. I started regretting calling Paul in the first place.

Paul rang the doorbell and we waited for someone to open the door.

Suddenly, the door was opened revealing a brown haired girl.

“Hey,” Paul said casually as he walked in. She smiled slightly at him and opened the door wider and we went in. I don’t remember Alex having a sister.

“Who is that?” I whispered to Paul as I walked next to him.

“I don’t know,” he said, shrugging and that confused me more.

We arrived to a small T.V room. It had three couches, a coffee table, and a T.V. On the walls, there were a few pictures of Alex and his parents. It looked so warm and cozy.

I smiled when I saw a picture of Alex with his mom in front of the chimney in their old house—a house I have grown to love.

“Hey,” I jumped slightly when I heard Alex’s voice. I turned around; taking my gaze away from the picture I was looking at, and glanced at Alex.