|4| - Who gets the last laugh?

Ashley's POV 

After Monday night Raw I was still pretty angry after the events that had unfolded. I was beyond annoyed that the previous week on Smackdown I'd been stopped from going  down to the ring with Punk. I'd still not being given any explanation about why I hadn't been allowed to go to the ring with him. Then Stephanie McMahon had decided to give me a title shot against AJ at Night of Champions out the goodness of her heart. But, then she had the audacity to stop Punk from being in my corner and put Dean Ambrose in my corner. To say that I was pissed off was putting it mildly. I was still surprised at my sudden out burst of confidence when I'd spoke to Ambrose. I mean, that was the first time I'd ever exchanged words with a member of The Shield. I was sure it wasn't going to go down well with Ambrose. After all, I wasn't the only one who was pissed that he'd been in my corner. Phil hadn't exactly been thrilled. 

'What are they trying to do? Are they trying to force feed themselves down your throat? Haven't you made it perfectly clear you want nothing to do with the authority?' Phil stressed as he paced up and down the length of the tour bus. 

'Maybe that's exactly why they are doing it. I mean, I did embarrass dad by not getting into the ring and by chanting Daniel's catchphrase. Also, I did say The Shield were cowardly. Maybe it's Triple H's and Steph's way of punishing me because they know how much I despise The Shield' I noted. It wouldn't surprise me if that's why they were doing it. I was surprised that the comments I had made about The Shield to Stephanie hadn't been dragged up. I was half expecting Ambrose to bring them up when we had a our little encounter, which might I add I hadn't told Phil about. If I told him I'm sure he'd have something to say about it, and lets face it he wasn't exactly The Shield's biggest fan. He still wasn't over Heyman paying them to help him out and retain his title. Which in the end they had pretty much cost Phil. 

'I have a feeling if I have a match on Smackdown one of them will come down to be in my corner. So help me if it's Ambrose, I will riot' I warned. 

'You won't be the only one. I don't like the idea of The Shield being anywhere near you' Punk grumbled. I smiled to myself. I loved the way that Phil defended me and protected me. Yes, in the story line we were a 'couple' but in real life we were just best friends. But, I loved when he acted like  that even when he wasn't in character. I sprawled out of the on the sofa, and flicked through the channels whilst Phil sat there reading through his comics. He was still a big kid at heart. We were on our way to the arena for Smackdown. Lately, it seemed like that's all we did. Go to Raw, do Raw, get on the bus and sleep. Then go and do interviews, meetings and then Smackdown comes around, we do Smackdown and then head to the next city. I was a bit miffed that I hadn't had chance to go home and hang out with some friends. It sucked being back in my hometown and not being able to go out and do anything. I missed home and I missed St Louis. 

'You know-' Phil broke the silence, as he looked up over his comic and looked at me. 

'- I'm still trying to see why they gave you a title shot. Don't get me wrong Ash, I know you've worked hard for a title shot and you damn well deserve one. But, they are all about earning your spot and working hard and earning the number one contender-ship. I can't understand why they would give you a title shot just like that. Something definitely isn't right' Phil mused, scratching his head. 

'Do you think I should turn it down?' I asked after a moment. I was still unsure whether to compete in the match. It was a huge opportunity for me and it was something I had always wanted. Imagine being Diva's champion. 

'Hell no. I'm saying going for it, I'm saying just watch your back at all times. It seems fishy. They aren't exactly the most trust worthy people. I mean Daniel Bryan is an example' I nodded. Then a horrible thought cast itself into my mind.