Street Walker

The 30 days of smut isn't over. I'll be getting back to that. But I've had the idea for this one for a little while.

I peer over at the slumbering man lying beside me, his chest rising and falling gently. His greying brown hair is messy, peices sticking up around his head.
The man snores loudly, his hand moving to rest on his stomach. The streetlight filtering through the Venetian blinds catches a gold band around his ring finger. Of course he's married. Why didn't I notice before?
I slip silently out of bed, collecting my scattered clothes in my arms. I peer back at him, noting how deep he is in sleep.
I find his pants, pulling his wallet out of the back pocket. I open it, grabbing the bills out of the space. I count out the amount we agreed, snagging a little extra for myself. I exit the room, closing the door gently behind me.
I notice a slickness between my thighs as I walk. There's no way I'm leaving in this state. I shower in the bathroom across the hall, dressing in my clothes from earlier in the evening. Then I exit the apartment, walking swiftly through the night.

I stand on the sidewalk, my back against the cold brick wall behind me. I peer up and down the street, waiting for someone to drive by. My fellow workers are lined up across the sidewalk beside me. They usually get more business than I do.  After a few minutes I see headlights turning the corner. I quickly pat my hair down, letting my black leather jacket hang open. I wander to the side of the street. Sure enough, the little white sedan pulls over.
I see the window lower, a man with brown curly hair barely visible in the darkness.
"Hey there." Shania says to the man, her voice soft and sensual. "Looking for a good time?"
"Yeah." He responds. "Do you want to come home with me?" I see his eyes turn to my face.
Another night of meaningless sex with some stranger. At least this one is cute.
"Yeah." I respond, before I walk across the front of the car, climbing into the passenger seat.
"How long do you want me?"
He doesn't respond as he drives away.
We drive up to a building and he pulls into the lot.
"This is it." He responds, stopping the car. He pulls the key out of the ignition, the car falling silent.
We both get out, and he guides me to his apartment. He closes the door behind me, but he doesn't lock it.
"Nice place you got here." I comment as I observe the cozy space. His apartment is small, the main area being a living room and kitchen in one, a small table and two chairs along the wall near the entrance. A hallway to my left reveals a bedroom with a nicely made bed. It won't be like that for long.
"Thanks." He responds. He takes his jacket off, hanging it on a hook. "Want me to take your jacket?" He asks politely. I nod, pulling it off and handing it to him. He hangs it beside his.
I walk deeper into the apartment, grabbing hold of the bottom of my lacy red tank top.
"So, where are we doing this?" I ask, pulling it over my head.
"Before you take anything else off..." He says, his attitude seeming reluctant.
So, do we have a virgin here?
"This probably sounds dumb, but I didn't bring you here to have sex with you."
My eyes narrow slightly. "Then why did you bring me here?"
"I just... I saw you on the street. And I see you every day. It's always you out there, even when the other girls are gone. You look cold and lonely. I thought maybe you'd want a shower, a nice cooked meal."
I am taken by surprise. I never expected this. Especially kindness. When people find out you're a hooker, respect is the last thing you receive.
Time is money. And the offer seems a little too go to be true. But something about the softness in the stranger's eyes makes me want to stay.
"Yeah, uh, thanks. I'll... I'll stay." I pull my shirt back over my head, flattening my hair with my palms.
"Do you like lasagna? I have some in the freezer." He seems awkward, like he doesn't know what he's doing.
"Yeah, lasagna's great." I respond.
"Good. Do you, uh... Like garlic bread?"
I nod, giving a small smile.
"Okay. Feel free to settle in, make yourself at home. I know it's cold out there so if you want a shower, the bathroom is down the hall. I promise not to bother you or... Anything. I'm sure I could find you something to wear if you want something comfier."
I haven't showered in two days. I'm sure I'm disgusting by now. I greatly accept his offer.
The heat from the water seeps into my bones, removing the chill from deep within me. I use the shampoo that sits on the side of the tub. It's men's, but I don't mind.
When I finish I towel off and slip on the pajama pants, t-shirt, and boxers he gave me.
Before I exit the bathroom, I stop, my hand hovering above the doorknob. A fear strikes from deep within me. I fear he could be waiting for me, waiting to murder me. After all, who would be this kind to a person like me for no reason? I don't know this man.
I open the door a little, peering into the hall. It's empty, the smell of lasagna and garlic filling my nose. My stomach growls, contracting almost painfully. It draws me from within the sage, steamy confines of the bathroom.
I find the man in the kitchen, serving  up the lasagna on two white plates. I walk a few steps into the kitchen, folding my arms over my chest, remembering my lack of bra.
"Hey." I say. The man jumps, clearly startled by my silent entrance. He turns to look at me. "Hi."
"I didn't catch your name." I tell him.
"I'm Dan." He responds. He takes a step forward, extending his hand. He acts shyly. I'm used to men taking charge and having their way. I'm not used to being in the presence of one who shakes my hand, doesn't stare my body down, and cooks me dinner.
I introduce myself. He smiles.
We sit in the living room as we eat, watch TV, and exchange smalltalk, mostly about our lives.
When he's done he gets to his feet. "I need to do laundry. Do you want me to wash your clothes? I mean, just so they're fresh for later?"
"Yeah, I'd appreciate that." I collect the lacy garments from the bathroom. I place them in his basket, and he leaves the apartment. I hear his footsteps as he walks down the hall.
I take the opportunity to observe more of his apartment, getting more of an idea of who he is. I notice a game system hooked up to his TV, along with some games and movies beside it. I notice the entire series of Game of Thrones. I'd been meaning to watch it, but haven't had the time or resources.
A tall bookshelf holds many thick novels, also including Game of Thrones, and a paperback copy of The Last Unicorn.
His room is set up simply. A large bed sits in the centre, a navy blue duvet nearly covering the surface. He has old band posters hanging up, one of them being for the band Rush. He also has many CDs.
I return to my lasagna and like around the plate, focusing on The Late Late Show with James Corden, which is playing on the TV.
It's later than I thought. I missed the last bus home. I feel myself panic for a moment. I could walk, though it'd take me more than an hour.
Dam enters the apartment, my eyes snapping up to meet his face. My distress is apparently displayed across my face, as he questions my concern.
"Are..  you okay?" He seems genuinely concerned.
"I was just... Thinking about how to get home."
"Do you live far?"
"Across town."
"I could drive you, if you wanted. Or if you really wanted you could stay here. I'd sleep on the couch, of course."
I peer out the window behind me, noting the thick wet snowflakes falling from the sky, the streetlight below showing the street piling up.
"The weather looks shitty. Maybe it's safest if I stayed here."
"Okay, if that's what you want. I don't have a problem with that. My sheets are clean. Today was my laundry day. So you can have the bed. I'll take the couch."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, of course." He smiles gently, the skin around his eyes crinkling, showing his age. I'd guess him to be late 30's.
"Thanks." I say softly, genuinely thankful for his generous hospitality.
"You can head in whenever you like."
I long for the feeling of a soft bed. It makes me tired. It isn't long before I feel exhausted.
"Do you mind if I head to bed?"
"Not at all! Good night." He responds.
I nod, smiling gently, and I get up, walking down to his room. I eneter the small space, leaving the door open a crack. I almost reluctantly climb into the bed, covering up and snuggling in under the soft blankets. It feels strange to be safe and secure in another person's home.
The smell of the blankets is fresh, yet still has the subtle hint of man. It smells nice.
I close my eyes, letting my head sinking into the pillow. It isn't long before I feel myself sink into unconsciousness.