Photograph

I peer into a large cardboard box. At the very bottom is a a stack of old photographs. I adjust my glasses and reach into it. I grasp onto the stack, bound by white string. I pull it out and undo the string. I set it aside and begin to look through the old photographs. The colour has long since faded and some have long lines across them, from being folded many years ago.
Some of the ones on top are of our children when they were young. The ones toward the bottom are of our friends. There are many of Dan and I and the rest of the Grumps. I find one photograph that is in particularly good shape and I peer down at it. It's Dan, Brian, and Arin from many many years ago. Arin and Dan are squinting at the bright sunlight, but Brian is wearing sunglasses. I remember the day this photo was taken. I was the one who took it. I also can remember what everyone was saying when this was taken.

"Babe, hurry up and take the picture!" Dan says, grinning while squinting.
"I can't see." Arin complains.
"I can." Brian comments. He was the only one who thought of wearing sunglasses.
"Shutup, Brian. You're wearing sunglasses." Dan told him.
I hold onto the camera and wait for them to settle down. I begin to get a little annoyed. "Okay, guys. Hold still!"
"There's a bug on this bench." Arin says and scoots closer to Brian.
"Guys, get closer. I need to get you all." I say.
"Good, because this bug is getting closer to me." Arin grins.
Dan wraps his arm around Brian's shoulders.
"Say 'Cheese'!"
I snap the photo.

I smile at the memory. I think Dan might enjoy these. I carry them down from the attic, walking slowly. I find Dan in his lazyboy chair. He's reading the paper, a mug of coffee beside him. He peers over at me as I walk over to him.
"What have you got there?" He questions.
"I found some old pictures. I thought you might like to see them. I think I'll put them in an album later."
He sets the newspaper to the side and he takes the photos from me. I take a seat in my rocking chair beside him. He begins to look through the photos, smiling. He pauses at the one from that sunny day over 40 years ago.
His smile fades and reaches down, gently touching Arin's face.
It breaks my heart. Arin passed away 10 years ago. He had a massive heart attack. He's the only Grump who isn't around anymore. I think I'll invite Suzy over for tea later.
Then he smiles. "Man, I miss Arin. He was one rad dude." We both laugh. "Yes, he was awesome." I agree. "I'm going to give Suzy a call. See if she wants to join us for some tea and a chat." I get up and walk over to the phone in the kitchen. I pick it up and dial her number.
I hear Dan laugh from the other room. "Darling, hurry up! I want you to see this one!"
I laugh to myself and Suzy responds from the other end a few moments later.