Alone

I exit my friends house and walk down the street toward the bus stop. Why do I always stay so late? I hate being out at this time. I feel unsafe.
A cool breeze picks up and I zip my jacket up to the underside of my chin.
I speed up my pace, checking my watch. The bus should be here in about 15 minutes.
I see the bus stop light ahead when it begins to lightly rain. Thankfully I brought my umbrella. I pull it out of my purse and open it, holding it over my head.
As I near the light I see a tall, thin man with curly hair sitting on the bench. He wears a jacket, but it doesn't have a hood and he's clearly getting wet.
The rain picks up and the man attempts to adjust his jacket, to cover his head, but it doesn't work. Feeling pity, I cautiously walk over clear my throat. His head turns and he looks at me. He doesn't look that much older than me.
"Excuse me. It's really beginning to rain and the bus will be a bit longer. Want to join me under here? There's plenty of room."
He looks relieved as he climbs to his feet. He smiles as he ducks under with me.
"Thanks, a lot. I appreciate it."
"You're welcome." I respond quietly.
The sudden closeness with the stranger leaves me feeling a little nervous. But he seems nice enough. Though, these days, you can't be too sure.
After a few moments he peers down at me and then I notice that he towers above my head, even while he's ducking a little.
"Hi, um, my name is Dan."
"Hi," I respond, extending my hand. "I'm (Y/n)." He takes my hand firmly in his much larger one. His fingers are icy cold.
"Nice to meet you." He mutters.
"Likewise." I say.
We stand there in an awkward silence for a few more moments. Thankfully he speaks up, breaking it. "So, what brings you down here at this hour? Don't you know that it's dangerous on this side of town? Especially for women?"
"I was just visiting a friend. I know it's dangerous, and I tell her she should move, but desperate times call for desperate measures."
"Yeah, I understand that."
"What about you?"
"Well, I actually got lost. I'm new to this area and I decided to check it out. But I took a wrong turn somewhere and got lost."
"Where are you trying to head back to? If you don't mind me asking."
"No, it's okay. I'm trying to find Second street south. Do you know where that is?" He actually doesn't live far from me. I'm just around the corner.
"Yep! I'll help you find your way back."
The bus arrives shortly later and we get on. We pay and take our seats. I find an empty seat towards the back, across from a man in a business suit. We sit beside each other.
Over the long bus ride, we talk about our jobs and overall, we get to know each other a little bit. He runs a YouTube channel called Game Grumps with a group of his friends. He's also in a band called Ninja Sex Party, which I found amusing. He also mentions that he's single, which I find strange. But I add that I'm also not in the dating world right now.
It feels like little time has passed when the bus stops at the corner between our streets.
"Here we are." I say and we get off together.
"Is this your stop, too?" He says as he hops off the platform onto the wet, concrete sidewalk.
"Yeah. This is Second street south." I say as I motion to the street beside us. Then I motion to my street. "I just live down here."
"Really! That's really awesome! Maybe we can hang out sometime."
"Yeah, sure! That'd be fun. I'm just in the little white house down there. Stop by sometime."
"Okay! And I'm in the little blue one on the end. I'm always busy during the day, but normally I'm free in the evening."
"Okay." I smile. And then it begins to rain again.
"Okay. Bye, (Y/n). I'll see you real soon."
"Bye, Dan." I say as I put up my umbrella. And at that we part ways.