Catching Up

I see him and suddenly it feels like a dream... a memory from long ago, back when Dan and I were a couple. It has been 4 years since I last saw him. I wonder what he has been doing since we broke up.
Now, the only reason we broke up was because his music career was really taking off. He went so many places and did amazing things. I secretly kept up with him.
I feel pain, also, remembering what we once had and wishing that we could be back to where we used to be. I have to talk to him, at least say hello.
I walk up to him and gently say his name. He turns quickly, his eyes wide. He whispers my name in shock. His arms open and he engulfs me. And it suddenly feels as if no time has passed.
"Oh my God, it's so good to see you! How have you been, babe? You look great!"
"I've been good, Dan. And you don't look to shabby yourself. Congratulations on your success! How has it been on you?" He pulls back and it feels too soon. He is smiling so wide and his eyes sparkle.
"I've been alright. Do you want to grab a coffee or something? Catch up a bit?"
"Yeah, absolutely! There's a Starbucks just across the street."
"Awesome."
We pay for our groceries and we put them in our cars. Then we cross the road together. We go into Starbucks and we order and sit. We start talking about life after each other. Then the burning question comes up.
"So, uh, are you, um, seeing anyone?" He asks me, a look of worry distorting his soft features. I smile. "Nope. I haven't dated since we... you know."
He smiles, clearly relieved as he nods.
"What about you?" I quickly add, me being the worried one now. I know he's a ladies man.
"Nope. I haven't been with anyone since you." He grins. It's so dorky, but beautiful. I feel a deep pain as I realize just how much I missed him. I just really want to be his again.
We talk for so long. We're there for an hour before we leave and walk through the park. We took so many late nights walks through here. As some point his hand wraps around mine and he pauses. "Oh, uh, sorry." And he's about to pull his hand away, when I keep hold of it. "Don't apologize. It's... nice." So he continues to hold my hand firmly.
We reach Grumps Space and we go in. It has been so long since I was last here. I had so many great days here. It was amazing. And I have missed this place and everyone here so much. After we broke up it was really hard for the both of us. When I was at the Grumps Space it reminded me of Dan too much and it made attempting to get over him so much more difficult. Also, we were afraid of running into each other.
"Hey, everyone! Guess who I got with me!"
He pulls me into the room and everyone peers up from their places around the room. They clearly notice Dan's hand linked in mine.
"(Y/n)! It's been so long!" Suzy cries, running over. She embraces me, wrapping her arms tightly around my torso. Suzy was my best friend. And I feel bad for not keeping up our friendship.
And I see Barry, my sweet, little, precious cinnamon roll. He has a thick beard, now. Arin comes rushing out, Ross behind him. They all engulf me in a massive group hug.
"Girl, it's good to see you!" Arin says. "You're taller." Barry comments.
"We missed you so much!" Suzy says.
I just hug them all so tight. I really miss them and the office and all of this. It feels as if no time has passed since I last came in with Dan for a day of recording.

"Hey, I have more stories to tell about the past four years, if you'd like to meet up again." Dan says later in that day as I'm preparing to leave.
"Yeah, I'd really like that." I smile.
"Great. Call me." He hands me a slip of paper and gives me a wink as he did when he first asked me out.
I slip out and head home.