Nature Walk

Revised 4/30/18
Word count: 1358

Dan and I walk hand in hand down the dirt path in Yosemite National Park.

He has wanted to show my the beautiful forest since his last visit three years ago.

It is so beautiful. Big trees surround us, the bright sun filtering through their leaves overhead. The low shrubs and dense overgrowth create a sort of natural curtain, making us feel secluded and secure.

It's cooler today, so I wear leggings and a t-shirt, a pair of shorts in my bag in case it warms up.

I plop down on a log beside a stream for a break and pull my bag off my back. I unzip it and pull out my water bottle. I unscrew the cap and take a drink. The cool water feels refreshing in my dry mouth.
I replace the lid and put it back.

I suddenly have to squint as a cloud moves, the sun shining directly down onto us. I look down at my lap, shielding my eyes with my hand.

I feel the log shake and I look over. Dan is walking down the log, balancing with his hands extended from either side of his body.

"Be careful. You don't want to fall."

"I won't fall." He says as he takes another step.

He takes a few more steps down the thick log, his foot slipping on a wet patch of bark. He stumbles, his arms flailing.

I grab his hand, steadying him. He quickly regains his balance. His eyes are wide. "Thank you."

"You should probably take a break, Tarzan. We have a couple more hours left out here."

He drops down to the ground, landing with a muted thud. He sits gently on the log beside me, setting his bag beside him to grab his water bottle.

"It's so nice out here." I muse.

"It really is. I knew you'd love it here." He responds as he wraps his arm around my waist.

I smile gently, still squinting from the bright sun, as I lean into his side. He feels warm. And moist.

"You're sweaty." I comment.

"Are you really bothered? We've exchanged worse fluids."

"You're gross." I snicker as I push him lightly.

"Hey, I never have to ask you to suck my-"

"Daniel!" I say loudly, quickly getting to my feet. Before I can say anything else a large group of kids following a woman and a park ranger walk along the trail.

My eyes meet his and he bursts out laughing.

"You're so terrible." I scold him, but I feel my mouth twitch into a half smile.

He gets up and we strap our bags on. I watch the stream, seeing little critters swimming around underneath surface, when something catches my eye. My gaze follows a large, sparkly fish. I grow curious.

"Hold on a sec. I want to see something."

I set my bag on the shore and walk over towards the edge of the stream. I stand on a rock and peer down into the deep, dark water. I inch a little closer to the edge of the rock. It swims just below the surface.

"Look at that fi-" I begin, but slip on the wet rock. I let out a cry as I fall into the water. It is freezing cold. I come above the water, gasping for breath.

"Hey! Are you alright?" Dan asks, looking at me from the shore.

I cough violently, the shock of hitting the water making me breath some of it in. I swim over to the shore. I shiver as I climb onto the ground.