1. Intro

Naya (Nye-ah) like Maya but only with an N

"In my head every time I take a step it's on the clouds" I sang into the mic I was currently in my own world, I watched as the producer motioned for me to take it up a notch "Can you put those hands on me, baby? If I gave you the world promise me you would you just feel me, see the real me?" Music was my soul, it was what I grew up on it was what my mother loved so I knew it was only right to take after her, taking the headphones off I looked back down at the pen and notepad in front of me "hold on I don't like how that sound like I feel like I need to say something else"

Kuk my voice producer stared back at me amused, he liked to say my 'artisticness was challenging me' or whatever that was suppose to mean "why don't you come out and we can figure out the rest" he suggested "wait hold on a sec" I told him writing "run it back" I motioned putting the headphones back on "the beginning of the second verse" I instructed waiting for the beat to come in. I went over the notes in my head as the music played in my ears "Can you put those hands on my body and baby just feel me? If I gave you the chance to hold my soul would you just feel me, see the real me?" Grinning like an idiot I carried on "As I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, I am, with you" I could see my friends dancing outside the booth making be feel even better about the song.

"I can love you, I can love you, I can love you better than she can!" I sang the rest of the song, when I looked up I saw everyone bobbing their heads to the beat. "Ima come out so you can play it over and let me hear" I said taking everything off the walking out the booth, Kuk played the song over letting me hear it, so far we were only done with the second half of the song which wasn't so bad seeing as though we wrote it today. "Listen to this beat and tell me what you think" Rodney my other producer said pressing a button "this is sick!" I gushed loving the beat "I love this" I kept repeating while I bumped to the beat "this one you can go hard on" he wrote down ideas "I already got lyrics running around in my brain" I took note of the words in my head writing it down on a new blank piece of paper.

For about the next two hours we played beats and came up with lyrics that would suit them "I want a powering song like a song for just the ladies you know " I told them tapping the pen on my leg "about what" Rob asked rolling his eyes "fuck girl power, ya'll already got everything" he argued "men are scared to see a woman who is sure of herself and doesn't need them to provide for her" I voiced my opinion "well at least men I've been with"

Rob and Tez screwed up their face shaking their head "what kind of guy you been with cause I don't know a guy that wouldn't love to see his girl be independent and confident" I rolled my eyes as Rodney and kuk sat back and watched our debate. " Nah you guys are, I've never met a nigga in Oakland that never got intimidated by me" Jamila joined in at this point we were all yelling to get our point across Typical day with us "Now I know the real reason why its cause ya'll Oakland girls so Hood man some of you act like niggas sometimes" Rob said pointing at me and Jamila making my mouth drop a little "I do not!" I argued I refused to believe I acted like a dude.

Nope.

Nada.

Not accepting it.

That was so rude of them to say!.

"But" Tez held up a finger trying to silence the little form of attack I had on Rob "But I will say this they pretty as fuck" and with that said they laughed doing their stupid handshake, Mila and I looked at each other shaking our heads and rolling our eyes.

"You should put that in the song" Kuk suggested tapping my notepad "Oakland girls so damn hood, but they're so damn pretty," he said sparking ideas for me "yeah! play track 13 over again I wanna see if the beat fit for the type of song I'm going for" he nodded going to the song.

By 1 am we we're done with the studio which was early for me most days I would go in at 12 pm and not leave till 6 am the latest, but today wasn't so bad I got two songs finished and started writing another. "Same time tomorrow" Kuk patted my shoulder as he headed to his car "aye aye Captain" I saluted him as he walked off.

"I'm not driving" I immediately said when we approached my car "not it" the guys called out after leaving Mila the victim, I threw her the keys after climbing into the passenger seat "I hate you guys" I heard her mumble under her breathe. Mila was our mother hen of the group she kept us from being reckless some of the time.

"Wait hold on turn the music down Scooters calling" I yelled turning the music down and telling them to be quiet "hello Scott" I greeted "Nay" he groaned scooter who was my manager hated when I called him by his actual name which is weird because that's his legal name. "How was the session today?" He asked checking in

"It went well actually we got a couple songs down" I told him refreshing him on everything that happened "that's good listen, I have an opportunity for you" okay now he was talking business "ooh what is it" I was now all ears "How do you feel about performing on Ellen?" I could tell he was smiling

Did he just.

Holy shit

Fucking Ellen

"SCOOTER NO WAY" I jumped up and down in my chair "I'm serious, She called us and asked for you" by now I was hyperventilating "So I'm guessing that's a yes" he joked Hell Yeah it's a yes. "She wants you next month for her season premiere"

"you good," Mila asked looking over at me my hand was over my mouth as I shook my head no

"She wants me?" I questioned Ellen wanted me on her show. "If you couldn't tell Naya you're kind of a big deal now" he laughed at me. "Thank you so much Scooter" I thanked him about a million times "You did the work kid I just helped out" he reminded

"Now go to sleep I'll go over the details with you in the morning" I didn't argue with him so we said our goodbyes. "Speak Now!" Text demanded I didn't even realize they were all looking at me now "I'm gonna be on Ellen" I tried to be calm " HOLY SHIT" "NO WAY" they were all yelling with excitement "Dude finally this is like years overdue" Mila said I nodded agreeing "I've been wanting to be on Ellen for the longest but it was either I was busy or she was full.

But now this is happening and I'm so grateful for it things are finally gonna be looking up for me, a new album, and a new beginning.

Odell

"Ayo what ya'll finna do tomorrow night," I asked my teammate as we got our equipment ready for practice. It was currently around one pm and practice usually ran for about six hours which on certain days were very crucial.

"nun" Vic answered shrugging his shoulders I rolled my eyes cause dude never had no plans he was always home with his lady which I guess wasn't such a bad thing.

"Drizzy got a party in the city so I was bout to stop by that for a lil ya'll should come through, don't" I said motioning to Shep, Vic, and Rodger. I watched as Vic rubbed the back of his neck as he thought about the offer

"Man I don't know we'll see if wifey let me out" he joked but we all knew it wasn't a joke, ever since my boy got caught slippin and his girl took matters into her own hands shit hasn't been the same between them. He been trying to get back on her good side and show that he was done with his hoe'n round mess and I salute him for that.

"aight man let me know what bout ya'll" I asked the other two Sterling nodded letting me know he would be there while Rodgers said he'd let me know if he was down or not. After getting ready we made our way onto the field as the cool breeze hit my skin.

The season was now in full swing for us we had started out strong with three wins but our victories soon ran short as we lost our focus now it was our job to get back on track. The championship was calling my name and I refuse to let it slip right by me.

"Man coach bout to drag this shit out" Sterling complained as we began warm ups "Ayo coach Shep got somethin' he wanna get off his chest!" I yelled out gaining coaches attention and earning a shove from Sterling "oh my fault bruh I ain't know you ain't want nobody else to hear" I joked letting out a laugh as I ran down the field to catch the ball.

*****************

Okay so you guys have gotten a small glimpse into both of their lives, let me know what you guys think! feedback would be highly appreciated.