Talking With My Parents

Chapter 84

Moana's POV

  After dinner ended, my dad volunteered to drive me back to campus in his car and my mom would follow behind driving my car with the girls in tow. It's quite the interesting arrangement. When we get back to campus, I'm going to hang out with my parents for a bit. I haven't had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with them lately. "So Moana, how long have you and Maui been engaged?" I blush sheepishly. "Since just last night. We were having dinner at this fancy Greek restaurant to celebrate our one year anniversary and out of nowhere, he popped the question. It was shocking but amazing. I've always loved Maui so I didn't have to think twice about saying yes." 

  My dad looks at me out of the corner of his eye, keeping most of his concentration on the road ahead of us, especially since it's nighttime and isn't very well lit. "I'm so happy you said yes. I mean at first your mother and I are shocked, but I promise you we are so happy for the both of you. You two deserve all the happiness in the world and I know that you're going to have it now that you two are engaged to be married. I know you just got engaged last night, but have you thought about when exactly you two want to tie the knot?" I smile at him. "I was thinking Maui and I could work a few months to save up for it and then go from there. I haven't had the chance to talk to him about the ideal date yet. I will tomorrow though. We've just been so caught up in the moment you know?" He chuckles. "I know that feeling all too well. It was the same way when your mother and I got engaged to be married." 

   "Dad, I know I've heard this story a million times, but can you tell me the story of how you and mom met for the first time again? It's one of my favorites." "I most certainly can." He clears his throat and begins telling the story. "Your mom and I met during our senior year of high school. She was a new student from one of the nearby islands. She was the star of the performing arts department and I was the dumb wrestling jock. I know it's still a shock that I was a wrestler." A giggle slips out and I cover my mouth with my hands. He playfully glares at me but continues talking. "Well in addition to being a star, she was also an avid writer and had to write an article on the wrestling team. It just so happens that I was the team member who was chosen to be interviewed by her. I thought it was really stupid that I had to be interviewed for a school paper that hardly anyone ever read, but by the end of the interview, I was entranced with your mother. I just knew that I had to do everything in my power to win her over."

   I stare at him in awe. "So for months, I do would do anything and everything to get her attention just as promoting her articles, going to her shows, etc. One day, when I felt that she was beginning to finally like me as a person, I decided to take a leap of faith and ask her out, though I did it in a super dorky way. I made a huge hand written sign and held it up in front of the entire school while my friend Maki played a medley of the most classic love songs in the background. In addition, I covered the hallway floors with rose petals. She stared at me with the biggest grin on her face for nearly five minutes before throwing herself into my arms while repeatedly saying yes. From there on, it was true love."  

   "I really do love that story dad." He smiles as we pull into the parking lot of my dorm building. "I'm glad you still enjoy hearing it. I figured you'd get tired of hearing it after like two hundred times. Anyways, go get settled in sweetheart. Your mother and I will come by in a few minutes. Her and I have to clean the car real quick." I nod and head inside with Ariel while the rest of the girls are long gone already. That's weird. They literally just got out of the car a minute ago. They're really fast. I wish I was that fast. I'm getting side tracked again. Ugh. 

 Fifteen minutes later... 

  There's a knock on my door and I go to answer it. It's my parents and Maui. I give Maui a warm hug causing the both of us to blush. We head down to the common room to talk for awhile. Thankfully there's no down there right now so we have a bit of privacy. For the next couple of hours, we talk about everything from the moment Maui and I knew we had feelings for each other to agreeing that we're going to work for a few months to save up some money for the wedding. My parents told us that they're going to pay for the cake, catering, and the hall for the reception. We thanked them repeatedly because that's three expenses that are lifted off of our shoulders. Since Maui and I's dream wedding is by the ocean, we know for a fact that it's going to cost us a few thousand dollars, probably three to four thousand to be exact. Damn weddings are expensive but I know that the memories that will be created from it will have been worth paying every dime. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! :) -Mary