If On The Off Chance...

Chapter 15

Moana's POV

  I'm heading back to my dorm to swap off some books real quick that I need for my next and last class of the day when suddenly Tamatoa pops up out of nowhere. The unexpected sight of him makes me rather nervous and I end up dropping my books on the ground. Trying to remain calm, I plaster a smile on my face as I pick up my books and face him. "Oh hey Tamatoa, what's up?" I study him closely and see that he's annoyed about something, though he's not annoyed at me thankfully. "I was just coming back from practice to grab some dinner. Care to join me doll?" I get sick to my stomach at that nickname. The only guy who's allowed to give me pet names and it sounds cute coming from him is Maui. "I wish I could but I have another class before I can even sit down to eat dinner. I'm sorry Tamatoa." He puts on a fake smile. Clearly he's dissatisfied with my response. "That's okay Moana. Maybe another time." "Yeah maybe." I grumble to myself and head to my dorm in the hopes that he isn't following me. 

  When I get to my dorm, I shake away the memory of having run into that creep and focus on getting what I need for my next class. I put last classes' books on my desk. After my next class, I'm going to grab a quick dinner and cram a ton of homework and studying into tonight. I'm truthfully super stressed but I'm trying not to show it for Maui and Ariel's sake. Ariel's slowly getting better. She's had less panic attacks the past few days than she had right after she got raped. I'm proud of her. She's so strong. I know that eventually she'll be completely healed. Whenever she does have a panic attack, Jack and I are there for her. 

After my next class...

   I get together with Maui for a quick supper to talk about the events of the day before I enter isolation for the night. "Maui, how was your first practice today?" He grins at me toothily. Gah I love his teeth gap. "It went great. Jack and I are enjoying ourselves a lot. I also put Tamatoa in his place today and he's suspended from being captain of the team unless he changes his attitude, which I doubt that he will but still." I grin back. "That's wonderful Maui. You're already on your way to becoming captain yourself." I throw myself into his arms. "I'm so proud of you." He gazes down at me with nothing but love in his eyes. "That means everything to me Mo. All I want to do is make you proud. Well that and make you happy." 

  I bite my lip nervously, debating about whether or not to tell Maui about my encounter with Tamatoa. I don't want to ruin the positive atmosphere, but at the same time I don't like keeping secrets from Maui. I'm going to tell him. I don't want him finding out from that creep and having it blow up into an intense situation. "Maui, can I tell you something?" He takes a bite of his pasta and nods. "I was heading back to my dorm to grab some books for my final class of the day and I ran into Tamatoa. He wanted me to go to dinner with him. He kept staring at me like a piece of meat and it made me really uncomfortable. I'm really nervous that he's going to come after me next." Maui's joyful smile shifts into a deep frown. "I will protect you with my life. I meant what I said. I'm going to start body guarding you tomorrow. I was going to today but forget to because I'm an idiot half of the time. I'm sorry I couldn't keep you from him today Mo. I really am."

   His serious expression turns into one of sorrow and my nervous one does the same. I take his hands in mine and holds them. "Maui, you have a life outside of me. I don't want to take up all of your time. Football is a big deal for you and you need to be committed. Your coach won't like you hanging on me every second when you're supposed to be running drills or playing in a game. Now I don't mind you doing so in class or outside of class, just not during your practices and games. They're too important to not focus on." He sighs. "I know Mo, I just love you so much. I'd hate for what happened to Ariel to happen to you. I've seen you in dark state like when your grandmother Tala passed away three years ago. It scares me." I cup his face gently, not caring if those around us stare. "Maui, I'm not trying to scare you with the thought of it happening to me too, but if on the off chance that it did, I'd find my way back again. It'd be a horrible thing to happen, but I'd be able to come back from it." 

   Maui laughs sadly. "It's funny. You and I have both been to hell and back multiple times and yet here we are." I return his sad laugh. "Yeah, here we are." We finish our food in a tranquil silence before he walks me back to my dorm. When we get there, I throw myself into his arms and we share a passionate kiss. He then gently releases me and I dive right into all of my homework and studying. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! I'm winding down my original story, meaning that it's just about finished. Therefore, this fanfic will become my main focus for a little while. Hopefully, I'll be back to updating my fanfic twice a day most days. :) -Mary