I Remember!

I Remember!

Chapter 34

Moana's POV

The next day...

 I've done a lot of thinking overnight and I'm confident that I can handle seeing Ariel and Jack today along with Maui. They seem to be good friends of mine and I want to apologize to them for having thrown them out of my room yesterday out of fear. The three of them are on their way here now. I'm taking the last few minutes I have before they get hear to calm my nerves with some breathing exercises and advice from my parents. I've got this... I hope. 

Twenty minutes later...

 The three of them come into my room with Maui leading the way. He stands at my bedside holding my hand while introducing Ariel and Jack to me all over again. I give them both a shy smile. "Ariel, Jack, I just wanted to apologize for my behavior yesterday. I reacted poorly to your presence yesterday. I really do feel as though you guys are my friends. I'm just so frustrated at the universe, the guys who put me here, and myself. I hope you both forgive me." Ariel comes closer to me and leans her head on my shoulder. The contact makes me jump slightly but I relax when I realize that it's an act of friendship and affection. "We forgive you Mo. Isn't that right Jack?" He gives me a kind smile and nods in agreement. I breathe a sigh of relief. "I'm so happy to hear that. Thank you." 

   Just as I'm about to talk more, the doctor comes in to run a random test on me. The three of them volunteer to leave the room to give me some privacy but I shake my head no. I want them to stay. I pushed them away yesterday for the most part and I need them to know that even though I can't remember them yet, that they're very important and dear to my heart. As the doctor runs the test, a sudden sharp pain arises in my head. My ears begin to ring and I hold a hand to my head. Everyone stares at me in concern but I wave it off. Just as quickly as the pain came, it disappears. Instead of a series of images runs through my mind. They start from my childhood up until the other day. It takes me a minute to realize that they're memories. I'm getting my memory back! This is wonderful. I look at my parents, Maui, Ariel, and Jack. With a smile, I shout "I REMEMBER, I REMEMBER, I REMEMBER!" My parents give me warm smiles while the rest of the group states at me with their jaws dropped, especially Maui. 

   Maui's the first one to break the silence. "Y-You do?" I nod my head vigorously, giving myself a headache while doing so. Who cares though. I remember all of the amazing people and experiences in my life thus far. Maui climbs onto my bed and scoops me into his arms. "That's so wonderful. Moana, I'm so happy that you're coming back to me." I wince slightly at his words. No one else notices but him. He frowns slightly. "That sounded really bad. I'm sorry baby." I sigh. "No it's okay. I know it's been so hard on you Maui. I'm sorry for putting you through that. I promise you that I'm back and here to stay. No matter how lost I get, I will always find my way back to you, both figuratively and literally." A tear slips down Maui's cheek and I wipe it away with my thumb. I love my big softie. I kiss the spot on his face where the tear was just seconds ago. Maui puts a hand up to the spot adorably and rubs it gently. 

   Ariel and Jack then come over to me and we all share a group hug. My parents even join in a couple minutes later. They then quickly pull apart to take a picture of the four of us like this. My mom winks at me and sends it to my phone. I mouth "thanks" to her and she mouths back "you're welcome." My parents are super dorky sometimes but I love them so much. When everyone finally gets off of me. "Ariel, Jack, Maui... what happened with Tamatoa and Scar after well... my accident?" Jack volunteers to answer my question. "Well Scar got arrested and is currently in jail for assault and battery. Tamatoa is currently suspended from the university. Hopefully the suspension will turn into being expelled soon." I nod. "Well that's promising. I'm really scared though... I don't want Tamatoa to bother me anymore nor do I want Scar to break out of jail and try to come after Maui or me." 

   Maui looks at me very seriously. "I will do anything and everything to make sure that neither of them lay a hand on you ever again. Though I do have something I need to ask you." I motion for him to ask me his question. Maui leans in close to my face and cups it gently. "Why did you do you that? You should have let me take the beating. I can handle it Mo." He looks away sadly and I notice tears well up in his eyes. I silently ask everyone if they can leave the room for a few minutes, though this time politely. They nod and do as I ask. "Maui, please look at me." He sniffles and shakes his head no. I sigh and gently cup his face, getting him to look at me straight in the eyes. His eyes are red and puffy, which is making me sad. "Maui, I would do it all over again if it meant keeping you safe. I'm more worried about you than I am myself. You've been through so much more than I have. You're a lot stronger than I am. I figured taking one beating would put you a little more at ease." 

  Maui sighs back. "Mo, I love you with all of my heart and forgive me for saying this, but that was so stupid of you." I look down in shame. "I-I'm sorry Maui." My hands begin to shake and my head begins to spin. Maui's eyes bug out of his head and he wraps his arms around me securely. "Mo, baby, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please relax." I take a few deep breaths in and out and my hands stop shaking. I look back up at Maui. "I'm in so much pain right now, but it's worth it knowing that I was able to protect you from facing that fate again so soon. You may hate me for doing so, but it's all apart of love. Love makes people do crazy things." Maui laughs sadly. "You got that right Mo. By the way, I love you so much." I put a hand to his cheek and peck him on the lips. "I love you too." 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! By the way, I'm literally about to hit 100k reads on my first ever Moana fanfic titled What Is This Feeling. I'm so blessed. Thank you so much. <3 :) -Mary