The First Day On The Job For The Both Of Us

Chapter 63

Maui's POV

Two days later...

  My princess and I both start at our jobs today. She had to go in earlier than me sadly so we aren't able to spend much time with one another this morning. Her parents eventually came home last night so we had to separate ourselves from sleeping in the same bed together. As much as it sucked, Mo's parents are the last people, besides of Mo of course, that I'd want to upset. They've done so much for me. I'd be awful if they thought I was only staying here for the opportunity to bang their wonderful daughter all summer. I'm about to leave for my first day of work right now. I'm both nervous and excited. I need to stop doubting myself so much. Delivering pizza isn't hard, especially with my excellent driving and navigation skills. I'm so good that I rarely have to use GPS to get to where I need to go. 

An hour later...

  I'm running through a basic orientation training on the computer in my boss' office. It's going to take me a couple hours to do this. Afterwards, I get a tour of the place, a look at the full menu to memorize it's content and prices, and then a little more paperwork to do. I'll be able to actual start running deliveries tomorrow. It's going great! My coworkers aren't the most friendly people in the world but who cares. I'm here to make money, not kiss everyone's asses. Plus being a delivery boy, I'll hardly even be around. I'm going to be in my car more than in the restaurant itself. I like that. It's not that I'm antisocial, I just work better alone than with a group. This way no one can take credit for me doing all of the work because the only person to compete with during my shift is myself. 

Five hours later...

  I've survived my first day of work and aced my training with flying colors. I'm on my way home now to relax for the rest of the day. It's weird. I'm really not used to having a place to call home. I never thought I'd have a place that felt like home to me. The universe works in mysterious ways I guess. I hope Mo had a good first day of work as well. She's probably home by now since she went in two hours earlier than I did. 

Twenty minutes later...

  I pull into the driveway and park my car in the garage. I grab my things and head inside. I knock on the door and Mo lets me in a minute later. Instead of a joyful expression on Mo's face, an expression of distress is plastered on. "Hey Maui", she says in a sad tone of voice. My joy over my good first day of work shifts into a frown. I instantly feel guilty even though I haven't done anything wrong. I just hate seeing Mo sad. "Mo, what's wrong?" She goes over to the sofa in the living room and pats the spot next to her. I sit down and look right into her eyes. A long sigh escapes from her mouth. "Maui, my first day of work sucked. My boss is a nightmare. She rushed me through my orientation and made me look like an idiot. I was only to perform half of the tasks I'm supposed to successfully. I flopped on the other half of course." 

   Tears form in her eyes and she bursts into tears. Instinctively, I wrap my arms around her tightly and hold her while she lets it all out. Meanwhile, anger boils up inside of me. I should give Mo's boss a piece of my mind. If I said a few choice words to her, she wouldn't ever mess with Mo again. That's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow. "Mo, I'm going to talk to your boss tomorrow." Mo's eyes bug out of her head. "Maui, don't. I love you but please don't. It'll make things worse." My nostrils flare slightly, causing her to flinch. "How can I stand by and let someone pick on you like that? She's a bully Mo." Mo fidgets with her hands nervously. "I just don't want to lose my job Maui. I really need this job to set aside some money for the fall for college as well as to get through the summer." 

  After seeing her flinch at my anger, I try to calm down a bit by taking a few deep breaths before speaking again. "I'm sorry baby for overreacting. I just love you so much and I want you to be happy at your job." A small smile tugs at her lips. "It's okay Maui. Here's what I think should be done. I think that we should give it a little time. If this kind of behavior continues from my boss and I don't feel comfortable facing her, then I'll let you step in. Until then, promise me that you won't go super macho and crazy on her." I roll my eyes playfully before nodding in agreement. "That sounds fair, though you have to promise me something in return." She looks at me curiously. "What's that?" I take her hands in mine and holds them to over my heart. "You have to promise me that if things escalate to the point where you need me to step, you'll be honest and tell me so rather than hide it to spare me from worrying about you. It's my job to protect you, keep you safe, and make you happy."

  A moment of silence passes before Mo nods in agreement. "I promise Maui." I take her hands off my heart and lift one up, raising a pinky in the air. "Pinky promise?", I ask with a stupid grin on my face. Mo playfully rolls her eyes and giggles. "You're such a child Maui." I grin even wider. "I know but I'm still waiting for your pinky promise. I can leave my pinky up in the air like this all night if I have to." She giggles again and returns my actions. "I pinky promise." I smile. "Good. Now let me make you dinner. What do you have?" She rattles off a list of food which includes eggs, steak, spaghetti, pizza, and more. I bite my lip. "How does spaghetti sound?" Mo lights up. "Spaghetti sounds great!"

    I make enough spaghetti for the four of us because Mo's parents ended up walking through the door a couple minutes after I started prepping to cook. We eat together as a family, have some cookies for dessert, and go our separate ways for a bit before bed. It's been a whirlwind of a day, especially for Mo. I'm glad that I could make it end on a high note for her. Tomorrow's a new day and hopefully will be better one. 

Hoped that you guys liked this chapter! Thank you for over 1,500 reads. We're over halfway to 2,000. :) <3 -Mary