36: Prepare

I walked back into the main portion of the Homestead, where most of the boys were chatting. They must've got some news about what we found because when they saw me they all shut their mouths and waited for me to speak.

I stepped up on the first step of the stairs and faced the crowd. The boys gathered around as Newt made his way to stand next to me. Thomas and Teresa were behind me as Minho stood at the base of the stairs with his arms crossed.

I cleared my throat as I looked around the crowd. "I'm guessing you guys heard something about our escape correct?" I asked them first. Most of the boys nodded but there were a couple of them that responded verbally.

I nodded and turned to look at Teresa who actually discovered the words. Her blue eyes met mine and she furrowed her brows bewildered. I gave her a reassuring smile as I turned back to face the crowd.

"Ever since Teresa arrived in the Glade two days after my arrival, the Glade has completely shut down. The supplies cut, Doors not closing, and the gray sky. Teresa here has told me that she had triggered the Ending, meaning we have to leave the Glade." I paused and looked around the crowd and saw how the boys were confused, scared, and sad. I sighed and stepped down from the first step to take a spot near the base of the stairwell.

Newt looked at me confused but my focus was on Thomas. 'Continue Tommy. Please.' Thomas nodded understanding what I wanted him to do. He turned to face the crowd and continued to inform the Gladers.

"Minho and I have found a way out of the Maze but its very risky. We will have to go in armed because it will be a long fight. While Minho and I were out running and (Y/n) recovering from her fall, Teresa had managed to get the code cracked. The code we need to escape. Now to the tricky part." He paused for a moment to collect his thoughts as I crossed my arms and gazed down at the ground my dream replaying in my mind on repeat.

"Our escape route is the home of the Grievers, the Griever hole." As soon as he finished his statement the boys erupted in chatter. They were confused and some were mad. Newt stepped up quickly and raised his hands up to quiet them down. "Shut your bloody holes and listen!"

The crowd went silent and Teresa started to speak up. That made me look up at her confused but Thomas made eye contact with me, only reassuring me that he's the one who told her to continue. "The code consists of 6 words. We will have to figure out how they fit in with our escape but (Y/n) and I have that under control. We will talk more into detail when the time arrives." She turned to Newt, giving him a slight nod. He nodded and faced the crowd.

"We leave tonight. We ain't spendin another night in the shuck Glade. Start preparing yourselves its gonna be a long night." With that he walked off the stairs and started ordering people around getting them to start moving.

I stood in the same place still thinking about my dreams. A small hand landed on my shoulder, which made me jump. I turned around quickly and saw Teresa and Thomas staring at me with concerned eyes. "Hey you okay there (Y/n)? You look a bit sad and confused." Teresa asked. I sighed and shook my head. "Nothing to get your panties all in a bunch for. C'mon lets go get ready yeah?" I asked that tying up my hair in a (low/high) bun.

They both nodded and we all walked out the Homestead to see boys running around preparing for the long night ahead. I breathed in the fresh air and smiled. 'I'm gonna miss this place' I thought to myself as I continued to walk toward the secret room where the code was, to memorize it.

~~~~

I left the room rubbing my temples and sighing. This was gonna be a very long night. Teresa and Chuck walked out of the room right after me, both engaged in a conversation. I looked around the Glade to see the boys preparing themselves.

I bit my lip and went to Minho, who was distributing weapons to the Gladers. I stood next to him as he passed a knife to a tall dark haired boy. The boy gave both Minho and I a small smile and walked away twirling the knife in hand. I turned to Minho who was already passing another knife to another Glader.

"What is it (Y/n?)" Minho said taking a small glace at me before digging into the box for more knives to give out. I stood straight and looked at him. "I'm here for my weapon." I told him simply.

He looked at me as he handed out more weapons. Minho narrowed his eyes at me then looked away continuing what he was doing. "Talk to Newt. He has the weapon you're gonna use but just in case its something lame take this and hide it. Make sure he don't see it because I'd rather not die before we can actually go out to fight." He sneakily handed me a small knife that I quickly shoved into my boot to hide it.

I walked over to Newt to see him talking with a group of Gladers. Some I recognized and some I didn't. The boy from earlier was there, he was talking to Newt, his knife was in it sheath. I raised a brow at him, there's something off about him. As soon as I arrived next to Newt, the boys left except for the dark haired boy.

Newt turned to look at me, a warm smile on his face. I smiled back at the blonde and turned to look at the brunette. Newt noticed my confusion and cleared his throat. "This is Nick, Nick (Y/n)." He introduced me to the boy who kept to himself just giving me a nod and small smile.

Now that I got a better look at him he was actually kind of cute but my eyes are already set on the blondie next to me. He had shaggy dark brown hair that matched his eyes. His lashes were so long that every time he blinked they would brush to tops of his freckled cheeks. When he smiled a small dimple would appear on his left cheek. I couldn't help but smile at his adorableness

I nodded back. "Nice to meet you Nick but uhh Newt, why are you introducing us to each other?" I asked Newt as I turned to face him. Newt smiled slightly then turned serious, his brows narrowed. "Nick will help train you in using a knife to protect yourself." He said making me widen my eyes. "W-what?" I stuttered out.

Newt looked into my eyes and smiled slightly. "Time for ya to train Greenie." He walked up to me and held my face in his hands. He pressed his lips to my forehead and pulled away. "Take care ya two. Nick don't push her too hard we still need her." He turned on his heel and walked away to the crowd of boys trying to set order.

I heard a soft chuckle come from behind me. I turned around quickly seeing Nick twirling his knife. He smirked and glanced down at my boot. "Get your knife out and lets see what ya got (Y/n)."

~~

Hey guys!! I hope y'all enjoyed and as always, remember stay weird. Love ya!

-EDITED-
(1298 words)