28: Run

After we found the hidden letter, Newt ordered to get as many people as we could afford to work on the code.

He told Minho to gather all the Runners and run the Maze and stay out there for as long as possible. There was no point in coming back.

I stood in one of the rooms of the Homestead shifting my gear as Minho gave a speech to all the Runners. "Be careful. Don't die." Those were his words of encouragement.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him. "That's pretty encouraging Minho." I said looking up from my chest to him.

He raised a brow. "Got anything better Greenie?" He said challenging me. I stepped up with a smirk.

"Yes in fact I do. Step back and let the Greenie speak." I cleared my throat and caught all the Runners attention. Thomas looked confused as to why I was up in front with Minho. "Okay shanks. We are going to be out there in the shuck Maze for days. I just wanna say that it will be risky but it will all be worth it in the end. We will all get out. This is the last stretch and then we are out of here. Now lets get our shuck butts out there and beat the Maze once and for all!" I said raising a small dagger that I was given. A chorus of hoots and hollers emitted from the crowd of boys.

Thomas was cheering the loudest slapping other Runners on their backs. He shook them a bit making me laugh. A hand landed on my shoulder. I turned around to see Minho smirking.

"Wow Greenie. Impressive but not as impressive as my running skills. I didn't think you couldn't get any more attractive." He wiggled his brows leaning in. I blushed bright red as Minho pulled back and laughed. "I'm just kidding (Y/n). You're all Newt's." He slapped my back as he turned to the crowd. "Lets go kick some Griever butt!" The boys cheered as they all rushed out of the Homestead.

Thomas and Minho stayed behind as I walked out to wait for them by the doors. The other Runners have already departed to their own sections. I stood there shifting the chest gear again. There was plenty of food in my pack. I stood there gazing back at the Glade.

The gray sky gave the Glade an eerie vibe as a couple Gladers continued to work. They had no idea of what we had found. I turned to look at the Homestead to see Newt coming out. He looked worried as his head turned side to side.

His eyes connected with mine and he ran over to me. I was surprised but I just questioned him when he cane up to me. "What's wrong Newt?"

He smiled at me as he pulled me into a hug. I was taken aback by the hug and stumbled a bit but I wrapped my arms around his skinny frame reciprocating the hug. "I was worried I was too late to wish you luck."

I chuckled as I shook my head. "I was kinda hoping you would come to bid me goodbye." I blushed into his shirt. I felt his lips on my hair as he sighed.

"Do you really have to go? I mean we need help with the maps." Newt said. I pulled away from him giggling. I looked into his eyes to see worry and fear.

"Yes I have to Newt. Like I said I wanna run and get out. Ill be back." I said as I gazed into his brown eyes.

He smiled as he placed a soft hand on my cheek. I blushed at the contact. "Promise?" Newt asked removing his hand from my cheek and fisting his fingers so only the pinky was out.

I laughed but I hooked mine with his. We gave it a firm shake. "Pinky promise." I grinned at him.

He smiled down at me. "(Y/n)!" A small voice called out. My eyes lit up with excitement as I recognized the voice. "Chuck?!" I asked turning around.

I see him running up to me his face was red and sweaty. When he got to me I ruffled his curls as he gasped for air. Both, Newt and I, laughed at his poor athletic skills. Chuck stood up with a huge grin. I smiled back at him.