10: Every Last One of Us

Newt's eyes flashed with anger as he looked at me. He stood up and took two steps toward me. I took one step back unknowingly.

"What kind of bloody question is that Greenie?"

My eyes widen at his sudden burst of anger. I furrowed my brows in anger getting mad that he is yelling at me for no reason.

"It was a question asking about your well being Newt!" I snapped back furious, my fists balled up at my side.

"Well ya want to know whats wrong?"

I nodded signaling for him to continue.

"That you're here, that any of us are here. Everything is wrong with this place. We are stuck in a Maze without exit. We are living in a hell hole. There is no way out the shuck Maze. We have been searching for two bloody years with no luck. People are dying. We need to get out but there is no way out."

My eyes widen at his confession. I was pretty sure he never told anyone this.

"Newt..."I said gently. He looked at me, the anger in his glossy brown eyes was no where to be seen. His face softened. "There is a way out Newt. They wouldn't put us in here to rot. They must have an exit somewhere. I will find a way out. I am going to do everything in my power to help get out even if it means risking my life for the rest of you."

Newt's brows narrowed as he pursed his lips. He shook his head his messy blonde locks flying everywhere.

"How do you expect to do that. You only been here three days. Three days Greenie. I've been here two bloody years. There is no exit."

Fury flowed through my veins pumping to every organ in my body. My fists curled into tight balls.

"How do you know there is no exit Newt?" I was trying to keep myself calm.

Newt took in a deep breath and sat back down on the corner of the bed.

"I know because I used to be a Runner until I hurt my leg. Don't ask how it happened."

I uncurled my fists and took a step forward.

"I won't but just because you didn't find anything during your time as a Runner don't mean others won't find anything."

Newt's brown eyes connected with mine as he spoke his next words."(Y/n), I have given up on an exit a long time ago. If by some miracle we get out of this shuck place then I will kiss the closest shuck-faced Glader next to me from excitement. It's that or I have been shucked and gone to heaven. It's not gonna happen Greenie."

I pursed my lips and said with total confidence," I'm going to become a Runner."

With that simple statement Newt got back up to his feet a look of painc, anger and fear danced in his eyes.

"No."

"What do you mean no. I'm going to be a Runner and you can't stop me."

"The Maze is a dangerous place Greenie and as I said earlier you've only been here three days. It takes months to become a Runner."

"Newt I know what I'm doing. I know the Maze is dangerous but I'm a tough girl ya don't have to look after me. I'm going to be one and you can't stop me."

"Yes I can. I'm second in command I can deny your request to become one."

I took a deep breath closing my eyes. I clenched and unclenched my hands to keep myself from punching Newt. I opened my eyes again and met his.

"Like I said you can't and won't stop me Newt. I want to help. I want to get out. I want to get you all out. We can't stay here. I need to do something. I need to be a Runner."

Newt inhaled a large breath then released it sitting back down.

"Greenie..."his voice merely a whisper. "It's too dangerous. You don't know what it takes to become a shuck Runner. It's the best of the best. You have to prove yourself."

"Then how do I do that?"

"I don't shucking know Greenie. All I know is if Minho or Alby or me see that you or any other Glader has the chumps to be a Runner we will nominate them to be one."

"Ok then....I'll prove myself. Then you won't be able to stop me. I am going to be a Runner, Newt. Even if it means breaking the rules to go out there and search for a way out."

Newt didn't respond. I took a couple steps toward him until I was in front of him. I kneeled down in front of him until my eyes met his. I grabbed both of his cold hands and engulfed them in my warm ones.

"Newt I promise you that we will get out. You will get to kiss another Glader from excitment." I let a small smile creep on to my chapped lips. "We will get out Newt. Every last one of us."

~~~~
Sorry for the short chapter. Anyways guys I hoped you enjoyed and remember stay weird😉.

QOTD: Did you like the movie adaption of the series?

A: I liked them. TDC though made me bawl my eyes out.

-EDITED-
(894 words)